18 day old chick developing cured toe?

Hansen4211

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 27, 2011
Timmonsville, South Carolina
This little guy did not have curled toes until recently. I started noticing it a couple of days ago. He is feathering slower than the rest of the chicks but is much bigger than the rest also. He seems fine, acts alert, friendly and healthy. Should I tape his feet? Use riboflavin? Or is it really not that big a deal? Its just the outer toes on both feet.

Someone i know who recently had this problem with one of their chicks used band-aids to correct the problem.
You just put the toe facing the right direction and band-aid it like a cast or a splint.
Eventually it should fix the problem.

All in all though, curved toes in chickens isn't that big of an issue.
From what Ive read, its not dangerous.
And I've seen a few full grown chickens with a curved toe or two and they seem to get along just fine.

Thanks for the help. We tried taping his toes and he pulled it off 5 minutes after we got it on there. He gets along just fine and seems very healthy. I really didn't think they were that bad but I just wanted another opinion.

Up its vitamin B level.

I also think that you should up his vitamin B level. I've never used it before, but I heard that you can get this stuff called Poly Vi Sol for infants and children, the regular kind (not the added iron) and put a drop in the chicks beak and a couple drops in their water. It wont hurt to give it to the other chicks too, so you can put it in the water that they all drink out of.

Good luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom