18 week old injured leg and walks on haunches

littlels

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 27, 2011
I have a Black Orpington who is 18 weeks old and must have injured herself yesterday or last night. I didn't notice it until this morning when I went to feed them a treat. She stands and steps fine with one leg, but the other one she has laying flat and when she tries to walk she keeps it that way. I picked her up and all her joints are working fine. There is no blood, etc., and externally it seems to look normal to me. When I set her back down, she initially stood on both, took a step or two and then went down again.

Just a sprain from maybe getting off the roost? If so, could our roosts be too high? Is there something we should do for her or let her be and it will heal on its own?

Not sure what to do...

For now I would keep her in a hospital cage with some heat and goodies to eat. She may have hurt her leg and needs some recoup time. It could be other things, but hopefully you'll have more info as a day or two goes by.

I have a Black Orpington who is 18 weeks old and must have injured herself yesterday or last night. I didn't notice it until this morning when I went to feed them a treat. She stands and steps fine with one leg, but the other one she has laying flat and when she tries to walk she keeps it that way. I picked her up and all her joints are working fine. There is no blood, etc., and externally it seems to look normal to me. When I set her back down, she initially stood on both, took a step or two and then went down again.

Just a sprain from maybe getting off the roost? If so, could our roosts be too high? Is there something we should do for her or let her be and it will heal on its own?

Not sure what to do...

Hopefully it will not evolve into what is shown.

fig_005.jpg

Back
Top Bottom