18 week old ISAs, Easter Egger and Partridge Rock- no eggs yet!

MissLissa1981

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2021
Hello all, This is my first time raising chickens and I have 4 18 week old birds. 2 ISAs, 1 Partridge Rock and 1 Easter Egger. I was wondering when I should be expecting to get our first egg. I know ISAs are prolific layers so we keep checking every day and nothing yet. I kind of figured we would be seeing an egg soon. Their combs are super red and getting bigger every day and they’ve become super chatty lately. Any other signs I should be looking for? How about for the Easter Egger and Partridge Rock? Thanks in advance! Pics attached if that is at all informative.

Attachments

• 47E208C5-C4CD-4433-A313-031A926CCFAD.jpeg
    47E208C5-C4CD-4433-A313-031A926CCFAD.jpeg
    373.7 KB · Views: 47
  • D3194746-460D-4E02-BC3E-3F6DFECAB240.jpeg
    D3194746-460D-4E02-BC3E-3F6DFECAB240.jpeg
    702.9 KB · Views: 18
  • E8A90911-3303-4FEA-B2FE-E385ADD721FE.jpeg
    E8A90911-3303-4FEA-B2FE-E385ADD721FE.jpeg
    726 KB · Views: 19
  • A322E2D3-32E5-4EFC-9026-C4DB29491241.jpeg
    A322E2D3-32E5-4EFC-9026-C4DB29491241.jpeg
    691.1 KB · Views: 21
It can vary quite a lot. I also find the ages typically given as the “normal” are often a bit early. Those are typically for the high production breeds and hybrids so they might be accurate for your ISA or maybe a Leghorn but even then, it’s a general guide and might be a bit early. And for the dual purpose breeds, it’s not at all uncommon for them to not start till 24-26 weeks or later.

When you get them can also play a role in it as well. Sometimes chicks born in the fall will just wait to start laying until the following spring due to the decreased daylight hours whereas chicks born in the spring might start sooner due to the increasing light. That’s not always 100% accurate though because I’ve had fall chicks start at 22 weeks and spring chicks wait 9+ months so it’s not a guarantee but just something that can happen sometimes.

I’ve had a lot of birds over the last 5-6 years and I’ve had a huge variation in ages. As mentioned, I’ve had some wait 9 months, some 22-26 weeks, and I have pullets now that hatched in February that have already been laying for 3-4 weeks :eek: interestingly, their brothers were also early maturing. Not sure what’s up with that.

But anyway, it varies a lot!

I believe my Partridge Rock was one of the ones that laid pretty late and I believe my Barred Rock was either 24 or 26 weeks. So that one should be a little bit yet.

My Easter Eggers on the other hand have always been pretty early, some of my first layers, and some of their offspring and grand kids (EE mixes) are the early laying pullets I mentioned. So your ISA and EE will probably be first but no guarantees.

Also, do you have fake eggs to put in the nest boxes? You might want to get some. It helps train them where to lay. They sell ceramic eggs at TSC or even just golf balls or plastic Easter eggs would work. Might help to lock them up in the coop when they get a bit closer just the first time or two till you’re sure they know where to lay. Although mine have always been good about going back to the coop to lay.

Strangely enough they have started to move the fake eggs around in their nesting boxes and kicking some out into their coop. I take this as a positive sign that they’re interested but I also don’t want them to break their eggs once they start to lay by doing the same? Almost 19 weeks now and still no eggs though!

It can vary quite a lot. I also find the ages typically given as the “normal” are often a bit early. Those are typically for the high production breeds and hybrids so they might be accurate for your ISA or maybe a Leghorn but even then, it’s a general guide and might be a bit early. And for the dual purpose breeds, it’s not at all uncommon for them to not start till 24-26 weeks or later.

When you get them can also play a role in it as well. Sometimes chicks born in the fall will just wait to start laying until the following spring due to the decreased daylight hours whereas chicks born in the spring might start sooner due to the increasing light. That’s not always 100% accurate though because I’ve had fall chicks start at 22 weeks and spring chicks wait 9+ months so it’s not a guarantee but just something that can happen sometimes.

I’ve had a lot of birds over the last 5-6 years and I’ve had a huge variation in ages. As mentioned, I’ve had some wait 9 months, some 22-26 weeks, and I have pullets now that hatched in February that have already been laying for 3-4 weeks :eek: interestingly, their brothers were also early maturing. Not sure what’s up with that.

But anyway, it varies a lot!

I believe my Partridge Rock was one of the ones that laid pretty late and I believe my Barred Rock was either 24 or 26 weeks. So that one should be a little bit yet.

My Easter Eggers on the other hand have always been pretty early, some of my first layers, and some of their offspring and grand kids (EE mixes) are the early laying pullets I mentioned. So your ISA and EE will probably be first but no guarantees.
I have 2 questions have u ever had Easter eggers that were part crested cream legbar? And when do your Easter eggers start laying 😀

Back
Top Bottom