18 week rooster crow-impaired?

chickchickgirls

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 4, 2010
Oregon
I have a 18 week mix of something that I thought was a hen. I posted his picture on the breed thread to find out his breed and was told he was a boy. We had one other banty rooster out of this batch that started crowing over a month ago (just about 3 months old) and went to live with friends in the country. This one has never even made a peep or given any hint of rooster noise. Is that normal for a rooster of his age or are we just getting lucky?

My junior rooster,Roo-Roo is his name,turns 17 weeks tomorrow.This morning he crowed for the first time.I sounded like someone was holding his beak shut while he was trying to blow a trumpet.I had been wondering if he was ever going to crow,guess he was not good and ready yet.Your little guy may surprise you tomorrow morning.
smile.png

Just checked my dates and he is actually 19 weeks. I'm in town, so I will keep my fingers crossed that he just won't ever crow, or that he will just be a hen with extraordinarily long neck feathers!
tongue.png

Can you post a recent close up picture of him ~ maybe he is a she.

Billy, my 19 week old EE roo just started crowing this week. One of his hatchmates, Bug, a bantam Cochin has been crowing since he was 4 weeks old.

I can try. He/she is really hard to catch, long and lanky and much worse than my leghorn hens. I thought they were bad when I got them! Sheesh, nothing compared to this one, and I have had him since he was an egg!

So here is a little bit of a close up. First time I have ever heard it make noise! I stressed it out so much. It is really wild.
64757_araucanaback.jpg

64757_araucanaside.jpg

Back
Top Bottom