18 week rooster crow-impaired?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickchickgirls, Aug 9, 2010.

1. chickchickgirls

chickchickgirls Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    Oregon
    I have a 18 week mix of something that I thought was a hen. I posted his picture on the breed thread to find out his breed and was told he was a boy. We had one other banty rooster out of this batch that started crowing over a month ago (just about 3 months old) and went to live with friends in the country. This one has never even made a peep or given any hint of rooster noise. Is that normal for a rooster of his age or are we just getting lucky?

2. mercedes

mercedes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    TX
    My junior rooster,Roo-Roo is his name,turns 17 weeks tomorrow.This morning he crowed for the first time.I sounded like someone was holding his beak shut while he was trying to blow a trumpet.I had been wondering if he was ever going to crow,guess he was not good and ready yet.Your little guy may surprise you tomorrow morning.[​IMG]

3. chickchickgirls

Aug 4, 2010
    Oregon
    Just checked my dates and he is actually 19 weeks. I'm in town, so I will keep my fingers crossed that he just won't ever crow, or that he will just be a hen with extraordinarily long neck feathers! [​IMG]

4. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Can you post a recent close up picture of him ~ maybe he is a she.

Billy, my 19 week old EE roo just started crowing this week. One of his hatchmates, Bug, a bantam Cochin has been crowing since he was 4 weeks old.

5. chickchickgirls

Aug 4, 2010
    Oregon
    I can try. He/she is really hard to catch, long and lanky and much worse than my leghorn hens. I thought they were bad when I got them! Sheesh, nothing compared to this one, and I have had him since he was an egg!

6. chickchickgirls

Aug 4, 2010
    Oregon
    So here is a little bit of a close up. First time I have ever heard it make noise! I stressed it out so much. It is really wild. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by