1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1887 White Treadle Sewing Machine

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by tsuya, Aug 12, 2013.

1. tsuya

tsuya Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2013
    Snohomish in the PNW
    So over the weekend I had some spare time and I decided to clean up my grandmothers old sewing machine. As I removed the (copious) amounts of dust the machine had gathered I noticed a patent date on the front, Sept '87. At first I was thinking, "The machines not that young!" followed immediately by "Oh man, this machine was built in 1887!! It's that old?!" I have the original manual that came with the machine, all of the presser feet attachment (rufflers, fellers, gatherers, zip feet etc) and the bobbin holder...just no bobbins! I made a post on my FB page in which my dad posted he remembered HIS great grandma sewing on this machine which means there is a very VERY good chance that this machine has never been owned by another family; it has always been in mine. The belt is in great condition and the machine runs beautifully, especially after I oiled it!

Anyway, does anyone have any tips or tricks for using a treadle? I am not a new sewer; I've been doing it for years. A treadle though is a whole new (old?) way of sewing that I'm not used to. Also, does anyone have any sources as to where I can get the bobbins? I found some online but they were $4 each!

Oh and here is a picture of my baby. I plan on restoring the wood finish and repainting the cast iron legs with black enamel to protect them.
    [​IMG]

2. Rich386

Rich386 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Live Oak, FL
    1887 may be the patent date but that is not the manufacture date. This machine may have been made long after that date. Another thing you may find interesting. These machines were made so well (like Singer) they offered a tradein on your old machine. Tradeins were destroyed. The idea was that eventualy they would run out of customers if they were left on the market. As far as your bobbins visit local antique shops and goodwill stores they get this stuff all the time.

3. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I have a singer , of similar vintage and an industrial boot makers treadle. My advice would be take it slow and keep you fingers out the way.

4. WalkingWolf1

WalkingWolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Vermilion
    Locate the serial number and you can look it up online. Most of the ones still around were mfr after the 1930's. There are a few to be found that go back quite a bit further. I have one from 1908 and two from the mid-30's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by