New treadle sewing machine!

CarolineNH

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 27, 2010
Sandown, NH
I found the ad for this machine on Craigslist, but it was almost 2 hours away. I was fortunate enough to have a nearby relative willing to pick it up and bring it up here on his next trip up this way. I got it from him on Saturday, and spent a day and a half or so cleaning it up. The cabinet needs quite a bit of restoration, but I'm far more interested in the functional than the cosmetic. This is my favorite type of treadle - vibrating shuttle machine, with a top leaf tension.

I scavenged a belt from another machine (I have *ahem* several treadle machines) and have it cleaned up & running!

The full write-up on this machine, along with more pictures, is on my blog, if you're interested.
It still needs a little more work, but it sews beautifully! It might just be the best $35 I've ever spent!

I found the ad for this machine on Craigslist, but it was almost 2 hours away. I was fortunate enough to have a nearby relative willing to pick it up and bring it up here on his next trip up this way. I got it from him on Saturday, and spent a day and a half or so cleaning it up. The cabinet needs quite a bit of restoration, but I'm far more interested in the functional than the cosmetic. This is my favorite type of treadle - vibrating shuttle machine, with a top leaf tension. I scavenged a belt from another machine (I have *ahem* several treadle machines) and have it cleaned up & running! The full write-up on this machine, along with more pictures, is on my blog, if you're interested. It still needs a little more work, but it sews beautifully! It might just be the best $35 I've ever spent!
What did u use to clean the machine?thx

I used a couple of things; first of all, I used "Liquid Wrench", which is basically kerosene. That's what is recommended by the people on the TreadleOn.net board for cleaning machines without ruining the decals. I have another machine that I used Formula 409 or something like that on, years ago, and it turned all the decals silver.

I also used one of those green Scotch-Brite scrubby pads. I used a piece of old bath towel on most of it, but used chrome polish and the Scotch-brite on the silver metal parts - the stitch length indicator, slide plates, the wheel on the right-hand side. I probably wouldn't use scrubby materials on the decals.

After I cleaned most of the outside with Liquid Wrench, I squirted a few drops of the Liquid Wrench into the holes in the machine that are intended for oil / lubrication. I figured if there had been oil used (entirely likely) it was probably all gummy and sticky, and the Liquid Wrench can dissolve that.

I then threaded the machine, wound a new bobbin, and ran a few pieces of fabric through the machine over and over, using up excess liquid. Then I "oiled" the machine with Tri-Flow (silicone spray), although at this point it's ready for regular sewing machine oil. I did open up one of the plates in the back to see what kind of shape the interior gears are in, and I think this machine itself, regardless of the shape the outside cabinet is in, was used very little, if at all. It works wonderfully now! I have located and ordered new needles for it, as well as a new shuttle.

Love to see the old machines used
thumbsup.gif

That's awesome, I work in the area of sewing machine restoration and repair. I love that machine, it appears to be from the 1890's to me. GREAT find. I wouldn't find anything like that for less than $100.00 around here. I have been told to use Goop Hand Cleaner. Very good sewing machine cleaner. You need to post a picture of your other machine, I would love to see it. I am in the process of finding a hand crank Singer sewing machine to add to my collection.

That's awesome, I work in the area of sewing machine restoration and repair. I love that machine, it appears to be from the 1890's to me. GREAT find. I wouldn't find anything like that for less than $100.00 around here. I have been told to use Goop Hand Cleaner. Very good sewing machine cleaner. You need to post a picture of your other machine, I would love to see it. I am in the process of finding a hand crank Singer sewing machine to add to my collection.

I've got a few - a 1914 or so Reliance treadle (from T.E. Eaton Co in Canada) - that one is another vibrating shuttle/ leaf tension machine. That's my *favorite* machine! I picked that up at a yard sale for $20, and it works so smoothly and easily! Also, a plain black Singer class 66 machine (it has a reverse!) that I put into a "parlor cabinet" to replace a non-working Singer Red-Eye - that one needs a new belt. (That's where I scavenged the belt to get the New Home machine running.) That was my most expensive machine - $150. I was willing to shell out that much because of that awesome cabinet! Also, a 1904 Singer "Sphynx" machine, that one is in my bedroom; and a Willcox & Gibbs chain stitch machine. That one needs a new tabletop on the treadle base.

Those links are to blog posts with pictures and descriptions of those machines.

I've got a few - a 1914 or so Reliance treadle (from T.E. Eaton Co in Canada) - that one is another vibrating shuttle/ leaf tension machine. That's my *favorite* machine! I picked that up at a yard sale for $20, and it works so smoothly and easily! Also, a plain black Singer class 66 machine (it has a reverse!) that I put into a "parlor cabinet" to replace a non-working Singer Red-Eye - that one needs a new belt. (That's where I scavenged the belt to get the New Home machine running.) That was my most expensive machine - $150. I was willing to shell out that much because of that awesome cabinet! Also, a 1904 Singer "Sphynx" machine, that one is in my bedroom; and a Willcox & Gibbs chain stitch machine. That one needs a new tabletop on the treadle base.

Those links are to blog posts with pictures and descriptions of those machines.

Very nice collection. I have nothing older than the 1890's. I like that Willcox and Gibbs chain stitch. It looks great for it's age, I know I wouldn't look half as good if I were as old as it. XD

Another one followed me home last weekend. This is a White Rotary, circa 1913. Came with 3 bobbins (and bobbins are still available!), and takes standard needles! Sews beautifully!

Back
Top Bottom