18mo old chicken has swollen cheek, makes honking sounds (pic/video included)

My hen continues to make the same sounds and has a swollen cheek. However she continues to act normally. Is there anything else you would recommend?

First, I need to know how long you medicated the bird and what dosage. You were using Tylan for respiratory trouble. Has the bird been seperate, or with the rest of the flock? Is the swelling area of the cheek hot to the touch? Do me a favor and look inside the bird's mouth. use a flashlight and look at the roof of the mouth to the back of the throat. Tell me what you see. If the bird has been with the rest of the flock, look them over closely for any nasal discharge, lameness, bluish combs, swelling on the face, eyes. When they roost at night, listen closely to their breathing to see if you hear any rattling in the throats.

First, I need to know how long you medicated the bird and what dosage. You were using Tylan for respiratory trouble. Has the bird been seperate, or with the rest of the flock? Is the swelling area of the cheek hot to the touch? Do me a favor and look inside the bird's mouth. use a flashlight and look at the roof of the mouth to the back of the throat. Tell me what you see. If the bird has been with the rest of the flock, look them over closely for any nasal discharge, lameness, bluish combs, swelling on the face, eyes. When they roost at night, listen closely to their breathing to see if you hear any rattling in the throats.
I gave Tylan for 5 days, the 1st day being 1cc and the remaining 4 days I gave 2 shots of 1/2cc each day in alternating spots. The bird has been separate in a garage with its own food and water. The swelling on the cheek is not hot to the touch and seems to have grown a little in size. There is nothing that seems to be out of the ordinary in the bird's mouth or throat area. The other birds are all normal and have none of the symptoms you mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom