19 and a half weeks old and still no eggs :( egg countdown anyone??

Some chickens take longer to lay eggs than others. They definitely will lay eggs. I know it is very hard to wait until that first egg. I would put some golf balls in the nest box it signals to the pullets where the choice place to lay an egg is located. They don't know the difference between a golf ball or an egg. I would put out some oyster shell too, they may peck at it a little but it could be an indicator that they are ready to lay. You will notice too that the combs will become really bright cherry red when they ovulate so it their combs are pinkish or dull red they are not ready but look at them in the mornings and if you see that bright vivid color you will know for sure.

Caroline

My chickens are 21 weeks today. I have 3 black minorcas, 4 partridge rocks, 2 red leghorns, 1 spangled hamburg, a salmon favarolle roo. I also have 1 buff orp, 1 Easter egger, and 1 barred rock that are a few weeks younger.

They slept in the coop until we stopped shutting the doors at night. (Amazingly we seem predator free. ) Now most of them sleep in the trees above the coop, all except the rooster and partridge rocks. They come back into the fence during the day.

Most of them have red faces, they squat left and right, they talk a lot.... But no eggs, it is killing me! How much longer can they go without laying?
1f622.png

My chickens are 21 weeks today. I have 3 black minorcas, 4 partridge rocks, 2 red leghorns, 1 spangled hamburg, a salmon favarolle roo. I also have 1 buff orp, 1 Easter egger, and 1 barred rock that are a few weeks younger.

They slept in the coop until we stopped shutting the doors at night. (Amazingly we seem predator free. ) Now most of them sleep in the trees above the coop, all except the rooster and partridge rocks. They come back into the fence during the day.

Most of them have red faces, they squat left and right, they talk a lot.... But no eggs, it is killing me! How much longer can they go without laying?
1f622.png

It will happen I promise you! And from the sounds of it soon! I was AGONIZING about it when my chickies were at that stage. It took about 2 weeks after my first squat. I finally got my first egg at 22 weeks. Then it was 5 more AGONIZING days until my next one! Now, two weeks later and I'm getting 5 eggs per day!
wee.gif

Hang in there!
wink.png

Leslie

Here is my 19 week old pullet who I think will lay first of any chickens in my flock. She's got the biggest comb and waddles, she's the alpha hen, and she just really seems to be the most mature all around.

I hope she lays soon!
fl.gif
No eggs this morning...

I KNEW if I posted on this thread, it would work! I think this is an egg from our spangled hamburg. We found it out in the middle of the yard. I wasn't expecting that. I'm so excited! I'm betting it is yolkless, but I don't want to break it.

Rocky was the first of our three pullets to start laying. Her first egg came last Monday. She skipped a day then laid and now she gives us an egg every day. They really are so nice, great shape, smooth surface, bright yoke, and they just keep getting bigger! We now sometimes call her our little mamma. We have another chicken called big mamma, she's large and in charge. Currently we are still waiting for the other two to start laying. Hopefully they will start soon, I expected that when one started the others wouldn't be that far behind. I'm just glad one has started.

A couple weeks ago I saw something on this site where someone had hung yard flags over the openings of the nesting boxes to give the hens a little extra privacy. The more I think about it I just might give it a try. I'll post a picture later.

Does anyone know when Wyandottes start laying? She's 28 weeks old and looks ready to me. Still no squatting though.

Is she hatchery stock? I had a Wyandotte from the hatchery. She never laid an egg. I noticed she would often sit in the box, but nothing ever came out. I decided to cull her since I figured she was an internal layer at 1.5 years old. When we culled her, she had 20 full sized cooked eggs inside her, so this confirmed her being an internal layer. Then someone told me that is happen often with this breed. I hope your Wyandotte lays for you soon. She is very pretty. Not all hatchery Wyandottes are internal layers, but it's something to think about if you don't see an egg from her soon.

Does anyone know when Wyandottes start laying? She's 28 weeks old and looks ready to me. Still no squatting though.

I have a hatchery Wyandotte that looks quite a bit like yours. She was one of my first layers at about 22 weeks. As a matter of fact, I went through a period when I was sure that she was a rooster because her wattles developed so early. 28 weeks seems old to me, but I'm new at this.

Hi I have seven chicks that are straight runs. Today they are 14 weeks old. I am very excited to have them lay eggs. The question I have is with straight runs they usually are more roosters then hens, but yet not one of them has cockadoodledooed. Do you think it is possible I have all hens?

Back
Top Bottom