19 day old chicks and a mouse

Nanili

Chirping
Feb 14, 2018
Ok, I'm obviously not a farm girl and new to raising chicks. My bf just found a mouse (not a large rat) in our bathroom next to the room we keep the brooder in. We have 9 chicks that are about 19 days old. Can a mouse hurt them? We will set traps, but we need to go buy some first and its midnight here. Our brooder has pretty high sides, it is 2 x 2 x 4 galvanized stock tank with chicken wire over the top of it, but it is next to a dresser. Should I be worried tonight?

Ok, I'm obviously not a farm girl and new to raising chicks. My bf just found a mouse (not a large rat) in our bathroom next to the room we keep the brooder in. We have 9 chicks that are about 19 days old. Can a mouse hurt them? We will set traps, but we need to go buy some first and its midnight here. Our brooder has pretty high sides, it is 2 x 2 x 4 galvanized stock tank with chicken wire over the top of it, but it is next to a dresser. Should I be worried tonight?
a little mouse shouldn't make you worry.

:hugs

go to sleep, kill all of the mice in the morning.

Mice have never caused issues for my babies and I've had infestations in my brooder shed a few years ago.
It was probably attracted to the smell of chicken feed.
Everything will be okay! Even if the mouse got in your brooder, he would be more interested in your chick feed, not your babies.
Rats are what would prey on the chicks, they can be evil critters. Good luck with your babies!! :wee

We have a humane trap that might not work for a little mouse, but usually where there is a mouse, there are more mice, so we'll see in the morning and get some more appropriate traps. Yuck. Mice in the house.

Back
Top Bottom