19 days and I have a pip...

happyhour4pm: Sounds like he's doing great! I can't wait to see little puff balls running around my bator
big_smile.png

I had to cull the 19 day old chick this afternoon. I came home and found it hatched out of it's egg but it had a hole in its stomach and his intestines hanging out. It was a pretty bloody hatch to. Poor little thing
sad.png

I have another pip and still waiting on 4 more eggs to show signs of hatching.

Oh no, your very first chick. That is so sad but i guess it can happen. I guess you had to be the hen and end it's suffering. Do you think maybe it did not soak up or pull the yoke up into it's belly If I had to do that to one of them, I would try real hard to find out what went wrong. It may make you feel better?
How are the other eggs doing?
Mine are kinda at a stand still I just went out to check on them and the 2 chicks were at opposite ends sound asleep until the flash light woke them up and they both jumped up and ran to middle.
So sorry to hear about your loss.
sad.png

Amy

You will have the most unbearable fun going, day 19 is ok, I have had hatches on day 19 and all survived. I am in my first year of incubating too, and am finding spring hatches have a higher success rate! But good luck.............

Most chicks should be hatched by the 21'st day - Mine typically start pipping on the 20'th and the last finish on the 21'st, though once I ran it quite a bit hotter then it should of been and I had them all hatch out on the 19'th day. They all grew into very nice strong birds. MW

My last hatch I woke up on Monday morning (day 18) and checked the bator as I do first thing each morning and one egg had a complete zip around the top while they were all still in the egg turner??? So I quickly pulled them all out and locked them down and had 5 chicks hatch that day??? But I set them on a Thursday so Monday was only day 18? I feel that because it was hot weather they must had started once collected as they were shipped eggs also...those 5 chicks are huge and healthy...I then had 5 more chicks hatch on the Wednesday.

Everything is great in the spring.
smile.png

We live in Florida now and i do love it here the summers are freakin hot.
tongue.gif

We moved here 3 years ago from ohio, my choice but it takes some getting use to.
My next batch of eggs going in are costing money and i do not want to screw them up. It is starting to cool down here now and I would love to open the windows but i am afraid that could mess with the temps in the incubator. I think we will just have to leave the air on until all eggs are hatched.
Amy

Now my second pipped egg has started to zip. I can see blood around the bottom portion of the chipped egg. NO... I don't want another chick that isn't doing well. What in the world is going on with this hatch??? Is blood normal to see during the hatching period?

Well, my second chick didn't even make it past zipping. I ended up opening the bator and seeing the membrane hadn't been torn. So frustrating
sad.png

Hopefully all goes well with the other four eggs that are in there. I haven't seen any movement from them or heard anything coming out of the bator since the two that passed on.

Back
Top Bottom