19 week old hen "Cackles" but no egg yet

maggieandotis

Songster
Apr 30, 2020
San Diego, CA
Hi,

I have (5) hens that are a mix of RIR and Buff Orpington that are 19 weeks old. Two of the hens have pretty developed waddles and combs and are burrowing in the dirt. Our 19 week old rooster (born on the same day) is also starting to mount these two hens but seems to be leaving the others alone. This leads me to believe that things are starting to happen in regard to getting ready to lay an egg. The two hens seem to also be cackling and so I keep getting up to check the box to see if there is a first egg yet and nothing! Could this cackling sound mean something else? Are they in distress?

This is my first time having hens so new to all of this!

Thanks so much!

They could be getting close. The cockerel mounting them means nothing in regards to egg laying. Cockerels mature faster than pullets. One of my pullets was super red for over a month before she laid. Heres a picture of her. She didnt lay for another month after this picture.

Attachments

• 20200711_181755.jpg
    20200711_181755.jpg
    999.3 KB · Views: 20
Thank you for the reply!

Oh my gosh! She is definitely more red than my gals. I can see I need to be more patient. Interesting about a cockerel's mounting not having anything to do with them being ready or not. Here is link to a couple of videos of the two hens that seem like they might be getting close...

Fair amount of combing.
She shouldn't be too long.
RIR are fairly early layers. Orps, not so much.
Yes, it is definitely the ones who seem like the have more RIR in them that are closer to laying. There is a 3rd one, too, that has some RIR that seems like she is getting closer, too. The (2) hens that look like 100% Orps, while nice and big, don't seem close.

Interestingly enough, my sweet Malcolm, has only been interested in the RIR. I have never once seen him mount the Orps. I know and believe that his mounting has nothing to do with whether they're ready or not, but in my mind, I do like my fantasy that I have a gentleman roo. :)! Because he is so sweet!

BTW, the picture of your Room is very cute!

Yes, it is definitely the ones who seem like the have more RIR in them that are closer to laying. There is a 3rd one, too, that has some RIR that seems like she is getting closer, too. The (2) hens that look like 100% Orps, while nice and big, don't seem close.

Interestingly enough, my sweet Malcolm, has only been interested in the RIR. I have never once seen him mount the Orps. I know and believe that his mounting has nothing to do with whether they're ready or not, but in my mind, I do like my fantasy that I have a gentleman roo. :)! Because he is so sweet!

BTW, the picture of your Room is very cute!
They could be getting close. The cockerel mounting them means nothing in regards to egg laying. Cockerels mature faster than pullets. One of my pullets was super red for over a month before she laid. Heres a picture of her. She didnt lay for another month after this picture.
Look what happened today! Should I be concerned about the elongated shape?

Attachments

• 03180101-E751-47BC-B95A-85F5AAB65083.jpeg
    03180101-E751-47BC-B95A-85F5AAB65083.jpeg
    414.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 7B4D0193-E5B5-4CD0-A6E2-7D742478F5DC.jpeg
    7B4D0193-E5B5-4CD0-A6E2-7D742478F5DC.jpeg
    510 KB · Views: 7
  • A8FC3FB7-C0E8-4467-92F7-82DE9BA62401.jpeg
    A8FC3FB7-C0E8-4467-92F7-82DE9BA62401.jpeg
    237.2 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom