19 wk old pullet lays first egg: partial prolapse!!

jmc

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 22, 2008
South Central MA
Hi;

I know this has been covered all over the place and i've done some reading up, but just want advice.

This NHR at only 19-20 wks old laid a very soft-shelled yest.--her first. She did not lay today, though she spent a while in the nest box. Hmmm..

After reading on prolapsed vent on forum, I looked at her vent this pm and saw the normal vent, so to say, then i saw within that a pinker area, and within that, a little even pinker-reddish 'cone like thing' protruding about 1/3 in.

I noticed a suspiciously egg shaped swell to the area. Didn't dare stick in finger. I just felt the area a bit, then put her down--in dismay (my dismay). Then I looked at the other two birds with her. The other 19week old who started laying looked fine, and so did the other who hasn't laid yet. GET THIS: I then picked up the prolapsed one, and her vent looked basically normal!

I'm thinking I should isolate her in a dark place tomorrow, and do the Prep H job. Her vent is clean otherwise. Do you think this is a good idea or unnecessary, since things seem to be better?

Also, does anyone have a recipe for a cleansing saline wash for her vent? How much salt per gallon or something?

thanks

Trust me when I say I have no experience with this stuff.

With that said, is it maybe her next egg in the making? I do know that prep h will shrink her tissues, but if it is an egg in the making, it will I would think hurt her when it is time to lay.

I know I have read here that some petroleum jelly works well with helping to slide an egg out, or pushing a prolase in. But you need to be sure of what is happening with her first. Prep h is used for after a prolapse.

Does she seem in discomfort? If so then from what I have read you would remove her and keep her in a dark area to slow down egg production till she could heal if it is prolapse.

I would wait for more replies before doing anything
Like I said I have no experience but have read all that I could on here. My girls ar 17 weeks at this time. I did see a recipe for the saline on here try the search option

I know others will post most informed replies and hope she is ok

John, I am no expert either but I will give my opinion here:lol:. If it is totally normal right now, I would leave her be but keep a good eye on her. Keep a camera handy in case it happens again so you can post a pic of it. It may not be a prolapse at all. Hopefully she will lay an egg for you tomorrow and it will all be normal. I have a hen that has something that kind of protrudes sometimes especially when you scratch the top of her back by her oil gland, it is weird, it just kind of 'bubbles' out. Not sure what it is but it has never hurt her and she is a few years old now. Again, this is just my opinion.
big_smile.png
Good luck John.

Last edited:
Quote:
Y'know something kiddo, I think you're right. I've checked little 'Beatiful's' vent yesterday a few times and this am already. It looks fine. I also applied some Prep H to it yesterday, just for good measure. NEAT RESULT MAYBE: She hadn't laid since her first egg on Sunday--maybe some discomfort kept her from doing so. Then I apply the Hem. cream 'down under' and then she lays another egg overnight!

Only problem: her two eggs are super thin shelled. And all I found this am was a wet yolk and albumen spread over the shavings. Come to think of it while i sit here typing: I don't remember even seeing a shell with what she laid last night!!!! What the heck. I gotta go check the stuff I collected.........

Last edited by a moderator:
John, in a previous post, didnt you mention feeding them a starter/grower? If so, I would switch to a layer now, it is time. Dont worry too much about the shell, it will all come together. At least she is ok and layed something. She may just need an up in her calcium intake which the layer feed will do. If you are adventurous, lol, you could always get some oyster shell and have available in a separate dish. If they need it, they will eat it, otherwise they will leave it alone. If you are doing all of the above mentioned, it may just be an absorption issue which could probably be fixed by using vitamins. I use Avia Charge 2000 and love it.

Quote:
Yes, I think you are right on. I switched all the birds onto Layer Pellets once the surprise eggs started appearing--even though the birds were then only 19 wks old and the label said to start at 20 wks. Nature has its demands, eh? lol

I have been giving them Blue Ribbon Vit. Electro. Probiotic Pack in the h20 each day for past two weeks; and I get the sense it really helps. I bet if I had done something similar when they were chicks, they might not be a bunch of sneezers. But this is how we learn........

Back
Top Bottom