19wk pullet: Lethargic, fluffed, no appetite, and loose light green stools.

I’ve had a chook that looks exactly the same. I don’t believe she is egg bound, though it’s worth checking if you can just to rule that out. (Basically latex glove with Vaseline and carefully feel for an egg). I treated mine for both impacted and sour crop. Daily crop and abdomen massages (gently and DO NOT regurgitate her, she could die from that), water with a small amount of minced garlic, coconut water, yoghurt and olive oil, or oregano oil instead if possible. After several days of this, make scrambled eggs then mix in some yoghurt, garlic and more coconut water. Not sure if that’s what helped my chook, but she wasn’t eating so at the very least that gave her the energy to get better. She’s almost 100% now. Best of luck! 🤞🤞🤞
I’m glad to hear your chook is feeling better!! I will try your method and hope for the best! Thank you.

I think her lack of appetite is the most concerning part - I agree that you could check for an egg in the abdomen, but it is unlikely that she is egg bound. You're doing a good job keeping her hydrated! Have you been able to check her mouth? Anything stuck in there, any gagging, etc?
Glad that egg bound is ruled out! As calm as she is, she won’t let me check her mouth. No signs of gagging, or head shaking. I’m going to go get some yogurt and try to treat for impacted/sour crop like CrazyCat16 suggested. Worth a try, you think?

Update for you guys, I woke up at 5:30am to check on Shadow and she had died over night. She was my 7 year old son’s dearest pet friend, dang it. I’ll be sending Shadow’s body to UC Davis for a necropsy- I have to know what happened.

Update for you guys, I woke up at 5:30am to check on Shadow and she had died over night. She was my 7 year old son’s dearest pet friend, dang it. I’ll be sending Shadow’s body to UC Davis for a necropsy- I have to know what happened.
I'm so sorry for the loss of you and your daughter's precious pullet.

I’m so sorry! I don’t think there was much you could’ve done, given how quick she passed. I do think she was egg bound though, since that can kill a chook very quick. It’s always really sad when you lose any pet, even a chicken :’(

I’m so sorry! I don’t think there was much you could’ve done, given how quick she passed. I do think she was egg bound though, since that can kill a chook very quick. It’s always really sad when you lose any pet, even a chicken :’(
Thank you. You’re right about there not being much I could’ve done- the results of the necropsy pointed to Marek’s. They’d all been vaccinated, but it turns out that the vaccine does not make them immune. There are four ways Marek’s can affect chickens, and Shadow’s version created growths on virtually all vital organs🙁. My other girls are all still appearing healthy. I’ll just have to continue to maintain a clean environment and balanced diet for them and hope that was the first and last run in with Marek’s! Take care, everyone, and thanks for your help!!🙋🏻‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom