19wk pullet: Lethargic, fluffed, no appetite, and loose light green stools.

FFDot

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2020
First off, I have zero previous experience with chickens or their ailments (except coccidiosis), so thanks in advance for your help. From what I’m reading when searching for similar symptoms is a possible egg bound hen or maybe a crop issue. My girl has been exhibiting the symptoms for three days now. I have her separated from the others, given her multiple epsom salt soaks, supplied electrolyte water, wet bread dusted with crushed calcium, and have gotten her to take some Poultry Cell this morning, which I think helped pep her up a tiny bit. She has never laid an egg. Her crop feels empty and it does not seem to bother her when I was feeling around for distention, hardness or squishiness. I think I see her straining when I lift her feathers to see the vent, and maybe a distended abdomen (again, unsure). There is no discharge from the vent and she hasn’t had a good stool in three days, poor girl, she looks miserable. Please help.

Attachments

• 1C29D95D-A220-41BF-BFB4-C37E3C232227.jpeg
    1C29D95D-A220-41BF-BFB4-C37E3C232227.jpeg
    676.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 5383FEDB-5195-47CB-B62D-8B32CCDB8C84.jpeg
    5383FEDB-5195-47CB-B62D-8B32CCDB8C84.jpeg
    750.6 KB · Views: 11
Thank you- she is the sweetest and calmest of the bunch 💕! She hasn’t had any fresh droppings today, this one is from yesterday so it’s all dry. Hope it can still tell you something🤞

Attachments

• 71D7CD9D-3C1A-4A96-9CA6-3E8205358D88.jpeg
    71D7CD9D-3C1A-4A96-9CA6-3E8205358D88.jpeg
    798 KB · Views: 8
To be fair, if she is not eating her normal diet well, she's not going to have normal looking poop. Is she still eating her normal feed, and drinking water? I doubt that she is egg bound at her age, and having never laid an egg. Will she eat feed (perhaps mixed with water)?

First off, I have zero previous experience with chickens or their ailments (except coccidiosis), so thanks in advance for your help. From what I’m reading when searching for similar symptoms is a possible egg bound hen or maybe a crop issue. My girl has been exhibiting the symptoms for three days now. I have her separated from the others, given her multiple epsom salt soaks, supplied electrolyte water, wet bread dusted with crushed calcium, and have gotten her to take some Poultry Cell this morning, which I think helped pep her up a tiny bit. She has never laid an egg. Her crop feels empty and it does not seem to bother her when I was feeling around for distention, hardness or squishiness. I think I see her straining when I lift her feathers to see the vent, and maybe a distended abdomen (again, unsure). There is no discharge from the vent and she hasn’t had a good stool in three days, poor girl, she looks miserable. Please help.
I’ve had a chook that looks exactly the same. I don’t believe she is egg bound, though it’s worth checking if you can just to rule that out. (Basically latex glove with Vaseline and carefully feel for an egg). I treated mine for both impacted and sour crop. Daily crop and abdomen massages (gently and DO NOT regurgitate her, she could die from that), water with a small amount of minced garlic, coconut water, yoghurt and olive oil, or oregano oil instead if possible. After several days of this, make scrambled eggs then mix in some yoghurt, garlic and more coconut water. Not sure if that’s what helped my chook, but she wasn’t eating so at the very least that gave her the energy to get better. She’s almost 100% now. Best of luck! 🤞🤞🤞

She’s not eating her feed or much of anything for three days. Yesterday she ate a few tiny pinches of wet bread, 5 kernels of corn, and four black soldier fly worms. Her food dish has been looking untouched, even a portion mixed with some water. I just helped her drink some water with electrolytes, which I’ll do about every hour or so just to keep her hydrated.

I think her lack of appetite is the most concerning part - I agree that you could check for an egg in the abdomen, but it is unlikely that she is egg bound. You're doing a good job keeping her hydrated! Have you been able to check her mouth? Anything stuck in there, any gagging, etc?

Back
Top Bottom