Crop

shelleyawood

Hatching
Mar 13, 2024
Hi! I had a chicken with I believe an impacted crop that started having symptoms on Saturday. She had gotten into some hay and had a hard golf ball size impacting. I did oil and some herbs with massages and it has passed. I noticed she is having some pulsing at vent. I checked for egg bound which I don’t believe she is as I can’t feel an egg. I have her isolated and am wondering when she can go back. If I put her outside she slowly walks around or just stands. She seems to not have any energy. I don’t believe she is eating or drinking much. Stools were formed yesterday. Today mostly yellow liquid and some stool. I just don’t know what else I should be doing. She has some pasty butt. No smell. She will be a year on May 8.

Hi! I had a chicken with I believe an impacted crop that started having symptoms on Saturday. She had gotten into some hay and had a hard golf ball size impacting. I did oil and some herbs with massages and it has passed. I noticed she is having some pulsing at vent. I checked for egg bound which I don’t believe she is as I can’t feel an egg. I have her isolated and am wondering when she can go back. If I put her outside she slowly walks around or just stands. She seems to not have any energy. I don’t believe she is eating or drinking much. Stools were formed yesterday. Today mostly yellow liquid and some stool. I just don’t know what else I should be doing. She has some pasty butt. No smell. She will be a year on May 8.
Has she been laying eggs? If so, how recently? What does her comb look like color wise? Does she seem to be in pain?

Has she been laying eggs? If so, how recently? What does her comb look like color wise? Does she seem to be in pain?
Well I have 15 so I am not sure when her last egg has been laid other than nothing since Saturday. Her comb looks ok. If you go to pet her she does a super low submissive stance but doesn’t put her wings out like the others.

Well I have 15 so I am not sure when her last egg has been laid other than nothing since Saturday. Her comb looks ok. If you go to pet her she does a super low submissive stance but doesn’t put her wings out like the others.

I will post a photo at lunch break
Ok, that will help a lot. Based on what you've already said, that impacted crop blockage may have moved to her GI tract. As long as she has enough nutrients (why I asked about the comb) and is able to poo, you have a little time to figure out what's wrong and resolve it.

@azurbanclucker , @casportpony , @Eggcessive , @Antiocheggers , what do you guys think?

So a couple of things here.

1, Keep her isolated until she's eating and pooping normally. You need to continue monitoring her to see if there are any other side effects. This could take several days if she really had a golf ball sized impaction.
2. Soft, easy to digest foods while you have her isolated. Boiled/scrambled egg, oatmeal mushed up fruit (applesauce!), the like. Make sure she's eating and drinking.
3. Keep monitoring her crop to make sure she's emptying it.

Once she's had a couple of days to recover and seems stronger, you can cut her loose. Hopefully she'll also lay in that time.

If she does not seem to be getting better, vet.

All I've got.

How did her crop feel this morning before eating or drinking anything? I would give some chilled coconut oil cut into small pieces to peck, up to 2 tsp daily. Offer some scrambled soft egg with a little water in it. Crop problems are not always fixed that easily, and can move on to gizzard problems. Does she have some poultry granite grit available in a container in the coop? Take picture of some poops. A dog crate with food and water and bedding or puppy pads can be put in your coop or run to keep her, where you can monitor food, water, and poops, and any eggs she lays.

So a couple of things here.

1, Keep her isolated until she's eating and pooping normally. You need to continue monitoring her to see if there are any other side effects. This could take several days if she really had a golf ball sized impaction.
2. Soft, easy to digest foods while you have her isolated. Boiled/scrambled egg, oatmeal mushed up fruit (applesauce!), the like. Make sure she's eating and drinking.
3. Keep monitoring her crop to make sure she's emptying it.

Once she's had a couple of days to recover and seems stronger, you can cut her loose. Hopefully she'll also lay in that time.

If she does not seem to be getting better, vet.

All I've got.
Thank you so much for your advice! Unfortunately around here there aren’t any avian vets so that was why I wasn’t sure how long this could last! When outside to get her some fresh air she pecks at the grass some. I did observe her last night take a couple small sips of water. I will try making some oatmeal

How did her crop feel this morning before eating or drinking anything? I would give some chilled coconut oil cut into small pieces to peck, up to 2 tsp daily. Offer some scrambled soft egg with a little water in it. Crop problems are not always fixed that easily, and can move on to gizzard problems. Does she have some poultry granite grit available in a container in the coop? Take picture of some poops. A dog crate with food and water and bedding or puppy pads can be put in your coop or run to keep her, where you can monitor food, water, and poops, and any eggs she lays.
I used to have coconut oil and of course don’t now! I will get some. I never really thought about maybe gizzard problems now. She has been in a dog crate just like you said. She seems a bit confused on why she’s there. I don’t know how long to keep her there. Until she lays an egg? Here are some photos

Attachments

• IMG_7869.jpeg
    IMG_7869.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7866.jpeg
    IMG_7866.jpeg
    484 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7867.jpeg
    IMG_7867.jpeg
    469.8 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom