Engorged impacted/pendulous crop

Fluster Cluck Acres

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 26, 2020
Frederick, MD
I have a 9 month old chocolate Orpington hen with an engorged impacted and/or pendulous crop.

Last night (Monday night) as the girls’ were going to bed, I coincidentally checked her crop and was shocked by how full & hard it was, and how much it seemed to be swinging freely around. I checked her again this morning around 5 AM and it was just as huge and hard as it was the night before. I had to leave for work so I put her in a dog crate with water w/ ACV and no food.

10 hours later there was no change in her crop. I gave her 2 tsps of coconut oil, massaged the crop. It is softer, but still huge. It is also quite gritty/gravely feeling. There is no sour smell, and she has had no symptoms of being unwell.

She laid an egg and is having mostly watery stools. I gave her a tiny bit of egg white and intend to continue with the coconut oil/massage therapy.

Questions:

Should I feed her and if so how much? She has to be hungry, but I don’t want to add a bunch of new food to sit in her crop. Should I give her more boiled egg whites? Boiled yolks? (That’s what I have ready) or make her scrambled eggs? Or feed mixed with water? Something else?

If the crop is softening but not getting significantly smaller in size, should I give stool softener? When should I give it?

In the event that her crop doesn’t empty again tonight, should I leave her with food in the crate tomorrow? (I work 10 hour days). I’m worried she’ll gorge herself on it since she’s hungry but I don’t have a way to give her small portions while I’m at work.

I’ve had success in the past with other birds with crop issues with the crop cocktail (lemon juice/cinnamon/cayenne). Should I try that or stick with the coconut oil?

Does this sound like impacted or pendulous crop? (No noticeable sour smell). I’ve read the article about crop issues, but not really sure which one she has. I’ve managed crop issues before but never with a crop this full, and usually the hen had other symptoms or issues. I tried using a bra on a bird some years ago without success, but I can try to make her one.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Pic is of Molé’s crop & stool after being off food for 24 hours.

Attachments

• IMG_6071.jpeg
    IMG_6071.jpeg
    342.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_6074.jpeg
    IMG_6074.jpeg
    415.1 KB · Views: 25
So Molé’s crop has not gone down. It softened and decreased slightly in size after the first administration of coconut oil. But since then no change.

She’s had coconut oil and also docusate sodium. She’s getting massages.

I’m still struggling with the crop bra. I can’t seem to find a bra that fits snugly enough to be of any use without being uncomfortably tight. I especially worry about leaving the bra on her unattended. Is there any benefit to putting the bra on her for a few hours at a time when I’m home to monitor? Should I keep trying with crop bras, or do I need to more on to something more dramatic?

I’m starting to think I should regurgitate and then treat for sour crop.

It’s been over 2 weeks since Mole's crop has not emptied.

She does not appear to be impacted. Her weight has not gone down but I can feel her breast bone. I think her crop is just that heavy. She is eating , laying, and pooping*. She is behaving normally. Her crop is no longer hard, but is still very full. It is liquidy and gravely (not gritty).

I cleared the assumed initial impaction with coconut oil. Her crop went from overstuffed and hard to half-full ,liquidy, and gravely. After softening her crop, i gave her Colace for a few days. No change. Then I gave her Miconozole for 7 days. No change.

Her stools are full of rocks/oyster shells. I have one other hen who is pooping out rocks as well. They do have grit and sand.

Molé’s crop is so big, heavy, and free-swinging that I’m wondering if it’s more than pendulous. Can a crop actually tear loose? She’s broken all the feathers on the underside of her crop. I cannot keep a bra on her. Every night I try something different and the bra comes off or dangles loosely. I’m out of ideas about what to do. I’m still tempted to have her regurgitate, but the rocks worry me. In the past when I had a hen who I had to regurgitate, she only had liquid in her crop. Some of these rocks coming out in her stool are not exactly small. Maybe I should try to flush it? I’ve never done that. But again, there’s stones in there…?

If she declines and seems miserable, I may just cull her. At the moment she seems content and is living with the main flock. She can’t come back indoors because now there’s a respiratory thing in the flock, and I won’t risk exposure to my 24 year old Cockatiel.

I’m discouraged and frustrated with the state of my flock right now, so I apologize if I’m using BYC as a place to vent. I don’t know if anyone has suggestions or solutions, but it helps for me to get it out “on paper.” It’s how I process. Here are some rocky poop pics. Those oyster shell pieces (I think that’s what they are) in the pic with my finger were in the stool. My finger is for scale. IMG_6329.jpeg IMG_6330.jpeg IMG_6254.jpeg

It’s been over 2 weeks since Mole's crop has not emptied.

She does not appear to be impacted. Her weight has not gone down but I can feel her breast bone. I think her crop is just that heavy. She is eating , laying, and pooping*. She is behaving normally. Her crop is no longer hard, but is still very full. It is liquidy and gravely (not gritty).

I cleared the assumed initial impaction with coconut oil. Her crop went from overstuffed and hard to half-full ,liquidy, and gravely. After softening her crop, i gave her Colace for a few days. No change. Then I gave her Miconozole for 7 days. No change.

Her stools are full of rocks/oyster shells. I have one other hen who is pooping out rocks as well. They do have grit and sand.

Molé’s crop is so big, heavy, and free-swinging that I’m wondering if it’s more than pendulous. Can a crop actually tear loose? She’s broken all the feathers on the underside of her crop. I cannot keep a bra on her. Every night I try something different and the bra comes off or dangles loosely. I’m out of ideas about what to do. I’m still tempted to have her regurgitate, but the rocks worry me. In the past when I had a hen who I had to regurgitate, she only had liquid in her crop. Some of these rocks coming out in her stool are not exactly small. Maybe I should try to flush it? I’ve never done that. But again, there’s stones in there…?

If she declines and seems miserable, I may just cull her. At the moment she seems content and is living with the main flock. She can’t come back indoors because now there’s a respiratory thing in the flock, and I won’t risk exposure to my 24 year old Cockatiel.

I’m discouraged and frustrated with the state of my flock right now, so I apologize if I’m using BYC as a place to vent. I don’t know if anyone has suggestions or solutions, but it helps for me to get it out “on paper.” It’s how I process. Here are some rocky poop pics. Those oyster shell pieces (I think that’s what they are) in the pic with my finger were in the stool. My finger is for scale.View attachment 3771139View attachment 3771141View attachment 3771142
I’m so sorry you’ve had such a problem with your girls’ crop. And I’m sorry you haven’t had more responses from anyone here. I’m reading because I’m also looking for answers/ideas about my hen’s ongoing crop problem. How is Molé doing now?

I’m so sorry you’ve had such a problem with your girls’ crop. And I’m sorry you haven’t had more responses from anyone here. I’m reading because I’m also looking for answers/ideas about my hen’s ongoing crop problem. How is Molé doing now?
Unfortunately we ended up putting Molé down. We weren't able to make progress with emptying her crop, and she was beginning to lose a lot of weight. But don't let that discourage you! I've had more crop issues that have resolved successfully than not.

Here is the follow up post I made about Molé if you're curious.

Unfortunately we ended up putting Molé down. We weren't able to make progress with emptying her crop, and she was beginning to lose a lot of weight. But don't let that discourage you! I've had more crop issues that have resolved successfully than not.

Here is the follow up post I made about Molé if you're curious.
I am so sorry you ended up having to put her down :( I know that may end be the case for our Darcy girl, but I am trying to remain hopeful. I have a plan for now and if that doesn’t help, we can’t afford surgery or other expensive vet treatments, so will have to make the hard decision. Thanks for everything!

I am so sorry you ended up having to put her down :( I know that may end be the case for our Darcy girl, but I am trying to remain hopeful. I have a plan for now and if that doesn’t help, we can’t afford surgery or other expensive vet treatments, so will have to make the hard decision. Thanks for everything!
Best wishes to you and Darcy!

Back
Top Bottom