PLEASE HELP! Sick Silkie Hen

ChickenMom67

Hatching
Apr 10, 2024
Hello everyone, this morning when I went to let out my flock I found my black almost two year old silkie hen Onyx not moving. She is laying down and panting. Her butt is dirty and has a lot of diarrhea. She will occasionally stand up but she keeps panting and closing her eyes. She will not walk. Her abdomen does not feel distended to me. She hasn’t been dewormed recently. My whole flock has been treated for Coccidiosis before. I also suspect Merraks disease in my flock as my young Polish hens experienced the symptoms and did shortly after. Onyx was from a hatchery and vaccinated for merricks. The chickens who passed had symptoms of paralysis, skin tumors, and they were still eating and drinking normally. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to watch my flock as closely because our house burned down in December and I’ve been having to drive from our rental house to take care of our chickens twice a day. Any ideas what this could possibly be? She is my favorite hen. Any help appreciated!

Attachments

• 304CD38D-B225-473F-A6BA-39D41199781E.jpeg
    304CD38D-B225-473F-A6BA-39D41199781E.jpeg
    644.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 51D012C6-BD4A-4164-BE28-4F824C859185.jpeg
    51D012C6-BD4A-4164-BE28-4F824C859185.jpeg
    572.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
When was the last time she laid? How does her crop feel? It is slow to empty? Is her vent pasted or just diarrhea? Is she dehydrated from the diarrhea? Are you able to get to a vet? She may need fluids, antibiotics, and/or an anti-inflammatory depending on what is wrong.

When was the last time she laid? How does her crop feel? It is slow to empty? Is her vent pasted or just diarrhea? Is she dehydrated from the diarrhea? Are you able to get to a vet? She may need fluids, antibiotics, and/or an anti-inflammatory depending on what is wrong.
Her crop feels empty and normal. I do not know the last time she laid. Between our numerous chickens and our house burned down so we travel twice a day from our rental to take care of our chickens. I haven’t been able to watch them as closely. Currently I m driving back to our rental and I will try to offer her some food/water. Her vent is covered in diarrhea but she is still pooping. The vet cost $199 just to get her seen. There are no “farm vets” where I’m located.

I cannot tell from the picture if it's vent gleet or not. Here's a good article about it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/vent-gleet-aka-nasty-chicken-butt.64647/
Since you already treated for Coccidiosis, I would deworm her first to see if that's the problem. Also, give her probiotics. If no improvement after vent gleet treatment and deworm in a few days, you may consider to give her antibiotics.

Hi There, omg you have been to hell and back haven’t you ! Her poops look okay from the photos as far as I can see which eliminates worms and a few other things. Have you checked her over for lumps , bumps and wounds ? She clearly needs a kickstart so if you can get some give her some Poultry Power by Nettex. That should give you some breathing time. If all your other girlz seem fine I recommend you separate her asap,
Hugz

I cannot tell from the picture if it's vent gleet or not. Here's a good article about it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/vent-gleet-aka-nasty-chicken-butt.64647/
Since you already treated for Coccidiosis, I would deworm her first to see if that's the problem. Also, give her probiotics. If no improvement after vent gleet treatment and deworm in a few days, you may consider to give her antibiotics.
Do you think being egg bound could be a possibility? I’ve never delt with an egg bound chicken before.

I agree 100% with this. And definitely the probiotics!! We ferment grain and that's full of probiotics/prebiotics, but for the little ones we give them Hydro-Hen in their water every few days. There are tons of powdered probiotics for their water though.

I’m struggling to tell because of her fluffy hair but to me her butt looks a little “hunched”

Attachments

• 45C5CCB9-D6E1-4ED9-9030-7FA6B2A9E8B3.jpeg
    45C5CCB9-D6E1-4ED9-9030-7FA6B2A9E8B3.jpeg
    604.6 KB · Views: 6
Update: got her home and separated her. I gave her the first dose of 1/4 ml safeguard goat dewormer. I got some save-a-chick electrolytes and probiotics for her water. She doesn’t want to drink so I am syringe giving her water. I offered her pellets and a boiled egg but she didn’t want to eat. I cleaned all the poop off of her butt with a diluted chlorhexidine solution and trimmed her poopy feathers. Her vent doesn’t look abnormal to me but maybe I’m wrong. She won’t walk, still is panting, and closing her eyes and nodding off. Her poop is almost completely white.

Attachments

• 5A067FC9-1691-471C-8B96-3E15062F21F7.jpeg
    5A067FC9-1691-471C-8B96-3E15062F21F7.jpeg
    600.4 KB · Views: 9
  • AC64EAC1-E420-438E-BB35-81B5CAD4DAFA.jpeg
    AC64EAC1-E420-438E-BB35-81B5CAD4DAFA.jpeg
    689.1 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom