I need help! Very Sick Hen!

We offered her scrambled eggs and mushy feed but, she has wanted to eat any of it.
She does lay eggs but, she has been in our house since Monday and hasn't laid since. Her tail position in a normal posture and it feels as if she has lost at least 1.5 pounds so, she feels like she barely has any chest muscles/meat at all. Her breastbone feels normal, she just feels very thin and her feet and comb are pale & hot (feverish like). Her lower belly has the normal firmness to it and were she isn't eating much, her crop feels pretty empty. I haven't seen any lice or mites. She does seem a little bit off balance but, I honestly think it's from her being very weak. Her poop has been very watery because she has only been drinking (very little). I asked a local feed store what we could give her and they suggested to give her Duramycin via injection for an infection but, I'm not sure how long we need to give it to her. Some say every other day and others say every day for 3-5 days.
Do you know anything about this for chickens?
Hi, is her poop white, cause from the symtoms it sounds like an infection, the same thing happened to one of my sussexes a month ago and I got baytril from the vet. I would also give her some charcoal in case of acidental poisining, and at the very least you won't do any harm as charcoal is full of vitimins and minerals

@aussie10girl how is your hen doing?
We actually had to put her down because she got to were she was hallucinating, not eating or drinking, and could barely keep her balance. It absolutely broke our hearts and we both cried so much about it. This was our first one that wouldn't respond to any kind of treatment we tried. Wilma will be missed <3

We actually had to put her down because she got to were she was hallucinating, not eating or drinking, and could barely keep her balance. It absolutely broke our hearts and we both cried so much about it. This was our first one that wouldn't respond to any kind of treatment we tried. Wilma will be missed <3
So sorry for your loss. If something like that happens again, is there a place where you could get a necropsy done by a vet lab?

:hugs I'm sorry to hear about Wilma.

Back
Top Bottom