Help! Hen Very Sick, Vomiting Yellow Liquid

Thegrumpyhen

In the Brooder
Nov 26, 2022
Hi everyone, I’ve searched everywhere but I can’t find anything so I came here. My hen had been sick for a few days. Her feathers are puffed up and she has a squishy crop. Her wings droop and she doesn’t eat. She also has liquid coming from her mouth, it was initially brown, and now is yellow. When it was brown, it would come out when she lowered her head. Now it comes out when she shakes her head. She hasn’t laid an egg in a while, but her abdomen does not feel like there is any blockage. She doesn’t eat. Her poop is entirely liquid. We have been giving her apple cider vinegar water and yogurt, and she can eat grain whenever she wants. She didn’t drink for a few days, but when we put some sugar in her water today, she has been drinking a lot more than normal. She isn’t as puffed up, but she is still lethargic. She jerks her head periodically like there is a blockage. What is ailing her? Please send help!

Read this article I wrote to help people like you. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Most likely your hen has sour crop, a yeast infection. The article tells how to treat it. Stop the sugar in her water as sugar feeds the yeast. Also, the ACV is not good for a sour crop as it increases the acid, making the crop even more uncomfortable than it is.

After she's on the miconazole for a couple of days, she should start to feel much better. But continue the treatment twice a day for the full seven days.

I thought it might be sour crop, however, there is no smell coming from her mouth. Does this change anything?

Back
Top Bottom