Help. Chicken very sick and pooping maggots!

She needs to be given a good soak in warm water with epsom salt or betadine to clean her up.
Then dry her with clean towels and trim her butt feathers so we will be able to assess the damage.
She might already be beyond help as this has been going on for some time and the maggots have been eating away at her innards.

She may have attracted maggots from her shell-less eggs breaking in the nest box. They then were attracted to her droppings or egg remains on her feathers. Flys strike from maggot infestation is very deadly if it becomes internal. She will need to be brought into a warm area, and have more than one warm soak today and possibly tomorrow. Epsom salts water, Betadine, Hibiclens, or Dawn dish detergent are all good separately to use to mix in the water. After the last soaking where no more maggots are seen in the water, that may be enough. Maggot larvae can hatch out for 24 hours, and they can literally eat the tissue. For any raw areas use Neosporin on the skin. I would clean out the nest boxes she was in so no one else gets them. Antibiotics if you already have some may be helpful. Please let us know how she gets along. Offer food and water, and egg would be good also.

Sadly she did not make it. I think it was too far gone. We were out yesterday and the day before so I hadn't seen her go downhill until this morning. She stopped roosting a few months ago and since then she kept getting a muckky butt... We kept washing her but then after the egg yolk happened I hadn't had a chance to clean her up. I feel very bad about it all.

Sadly she did not make it. I think it was too far gone. We were out yesterday and the day before so I hadn't seen her go downhill until this morning. She stopped roosting a few months ago and since then she kept getting a muckky butt... We kept washing her but then after the egg yolk happened I hadn't had a chance to clean her up. I feel very bad about it all.
Sadly, this outcome was to be expected.

I am sorry you lost her.

Back
Top Bottom