1hen won't eat

Evangitron

Chirping
Dec 5, 2018
My sick hen has no interest in food. Gave her antibiotics, just trying to get enough nourishment into her to give them a chance. Belly is soft and I think full of liquid. I don't think her crop is emptying but vet ...cat dog vet...said it was just empty. So what is the the soft round thing...her stomach? Pretty sure it is crop. She only wants cucumbers , and not enough food to keep her going. No energy. Ittle appetite. Any suggestions?

On clavimax, crop still full of squishy liquid. Seems like only so much is getting through. She is slightly better, pecked at some watermelon but not intetested in crumbles or millet. Vet gave her worm pill...cst worm pills were all she had. We give her yoghurt with molasses and a
Little cat food, just seems like digestion is very slow.

My sick hen has no interest in food. Gave her antibiotics, just trying to get enough nourishment into her to give them a chance. Belly is soft and I think full of liquid. I don't think her crop is emptying but vet ...cat dog vet...said it was just empty. So what is the the soft round thing...her stomach? Pretty sure it is crop. She only wants cucumbers , and not enough food to keep her going. No energy. Ittle appetite. Any suggestions?

Keep isolated. Supply own food/water with supplements OS and poultry grit. Electrolytes to water. Follow vet advice. If treating for worms consider treating whole flock. Nothing to do but follow vet advice and follow up with vet if no improvement or worsening symptoms.

If your hen has a reproductive disorder, and I think she does, it very well may be blocking up her system due to swelling of internal organs and/or internal laying (belly full of fluid). That's why her crop is remaining full, there's nowhere for the contents to go. She isn't eating because she can't - she is full of back-up.
There really isn't anything else you can do. Reproductive disorders are horrible.

If your hen has a reproductive disorder, and I think she does, it very well may be blocking up her system due to swelling of internal organs and/or internal laying (belly full of fluid). That's why her crop is remaining full, there's nowhere for the contents to go. She isn't eating because she can't - she is full of back-up.
There really isn't anything else you can do. Reproductive disorders are horrible.
She is kind of old, 7 or 8. She has not laid an egg in a year.

Last edited:
Slow improvement yet crop still has much liquid. She did peck at some solid food.
She is kind of old, 7 or 8. She has not laid an egg in a year.
Today she is about the same. Fed her yoghurt with wheat germ as well as a crushed crumble with turmeric mixture. Her only interest is to peck at watermelon, mostly the seeds. She is a big seed eater. Her crop is still full and she has this click at times when she breaths. I pray it is not respiratory, I think her crop is full of liquid and this makes the clicking sound as it is so full. Her comb has better color and she certainly is better than she was this weekend but I worry she is not better than yesterday. Giving the antibiotics,electrolyte water and epsom salt soak.

It's sad and disheartening when all you want to do is make them better, but nothing seems to work. I know your frustration.
Keep doing what you are doing and she will be comfortable as she can be, poor thing.
Still hanging in there. More poop, runny white with a touch of green. She is pecking a bit at her food...millet, layer crumbles..organic. crop might be a little smaller? A touch better than yesterday. If they have technology to read minds, then hopefully they can read a sick animals mind so we can help

If she is suffering from a reproductive disorder or ascites that is putting pressure on her digestive organs, it may not get better. I would refrain from giving her seeds and whole grains, since they are more difficult to digest than the regular layer feed made wet with water. Some people try to drain fluid off the belly with a 16 gauge needle occasionally and in small amounts to help relieve the pressure. It may help to relieve pressure, but won’t cure the problem. Ascites or fluid in the lower belly can be a result of either heart failure or reproductive disorders, such a egg yolk peritonitis. Here is a video about removing fluid if you are interested:

Back
Top Bottom