1st batch chickens done advise for second

Mike Fronczak

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 16, 2012
Hilton, NY
We are nearly done with our first run (25) of Cornish X chickens, butchering scheduled for Saturday. Before this we have only done layers....this has been an experience, meat chickens definitly don't look like layers, grow differently, we lost 2 which we never lost any layers. As long as we like the flavor, etc of these my thought is to start 2 more batches of 25 each. I already have 2 field shelters/tractors, one currently used, the other I built for our ducks, has a door on the side (which can be closed easily), since we let the ducks out...they haven't re-entered it once, time to repurpose it. My wife doesn't want to utilize the previous hatchery, I found a hatchery close by that has Cornish Rock & Red Cornish chicks avaiable in July pros/cons of these breeds vs. Cornish X. We are in upstate NY, so heat isn't crazy here in summers.

Cornish rock is another name for.the.cornish cross. They cross a cornish with a white rock chicken. 2 birds out of 25 is not bad. You want to keep your losses below ten percent. As far as the field shelters go, you can fit 80 to 100 cornish X's in a 10 x 12 pen as long as it.is moved daily and they will be ready in about 8 weeks. Google salatin style pens and that is what I use in Texas. We are hitting 100 today and I have 600 cornish on the pasture doing fine. Lots of water though. Any questions give me a shout.

Thats funny I have all Joel Salatin's books just ordered his pig video we already had a deposit on the pigs then the video came out as I was getting ready to put up the field fencing.
The field shelters I built are modeled after his but are smaller (4x12) & T11 on sides (I couldn't find where to get sheet alluminum here). But I used his percentages (25% open wire), and capacities (he says 75 is optimal in a 10x12 1.6 sqft/bird, but as low as 50 or high as 90) and reduced our numbers accordingly arriving at roughly 30 we used 25. We do move them daily, I now have a green streak through my lawn ;).
I can't believe how useful the field shelters are we started the year out growing some of our layers out in them before introducing them to the bigger hens. Then used it to grow out ducks before building the ducks their own with a door in the side so it could be used as a permant home for them, but once we opened the door on the ducks they never went back in. Then grew out this batch of meat birds. All in one $ 200 shelter.

First batch of 25 done. With 2 rookies doing it it took us roughly 5 hours including set up & tear down, messing with plucking on a couple, etc. We ended up skining them instead of plucking, then broke the carcasses into breasts/tenders in one bag, legs & wings in other.
I grilled one bag of breasts up, a little disappointed in the flavor, then I was just reading on here & we may have been soaking them to much.

My first attempt today as well. Not as emotional as I expected!! I was mostly concerned about doing it right and not upsetting the rest of the flock. Ha, as you can see they weren't upset at all, and later I caught them eating the blood soaked grass. Weighed much more than I expected though 8.8lbs dressed out.

WHAT THE DUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU!!
th.gif

My first attempt today as well. Not as emotional as I expected!! I was mostly concerned about doing it right and not upsetting the rest of the flock. Ha, as you can see they weren't upset at all, and later I caught them eating the blood soaked grass. Weighed much more than I expected though 8.8lbs dressed out.

Nicely done! Congrats to everyone!

Back
Top Bottom