1st coop construction progress

Skellington

Chirping
Jun 22, 2018
Olympia, Washington
I finished my coop 'foundation' and I'm getting ready to frame!
20180929_160018.jpg

(the untreated scabs holding the long sides together are temporary, and I will be adding a wire apron later).

I'm planning to build my coop and run so that the hardware cloth is sandwiched between two 2x4s (like the Wichita cabin coop and others call for). I'm not sure whether it'll work better to do the outside pieces first, like so:

20180929_160135.jpg

...or the inside pieces first, like so:

20180929_160053.jpg

If I do the outside bits I have a nice flat surface to attach wire to on the inside, but I have to toenail everything in and it's sitting on a not-quite-flat surface (the PT 2x6s were really crummy lumber -- cupped and bowed). If I do inside bits first it's easier to build initially to be stable, but then the hardware cloth probably won't be able to overlap the base 2x6 unless I trim the corners... I think.

...I'm overthinking this, aren't I? I should just go out and start cutting. :p

I've actually done quite a bit of remodeling work, including moving walls and framing new ones, but this is all twisted around from house framing... and dad's not around helping on this project!

Oh, and is it cool to post updates while I build here, or is it better if that's done on a coop page? Always fun to show off progress.

We like it when you post updates as you go, just include photos. It's even better to ask questions before you over-commit, like this question.

Yes you are overthinking it. A lot of us do that. Build it strong, first and foremost. That is important.

I built like your bottom photo. The top was framed similarly. I put the hardware cloth on the outside and left a 1-1/2" gap between the wire and the upright. My sandwich was on the horizontals. It did not create a problem.

The job of the hardware cloth is to keep the chickens in and the predators out. There are different places you can attach it and it will still work. I very much believe in sandwiching as giving you a really strong connection. It's a great technique. Drill a pilot hole and use screws.

Oh, and is it cool to post updates while I build here, or is it better if that's done on a coop page? Always fun to show off progress.
Definitely, post here, we do love to see a coop go up....
...article/coop-page when coop is done and has been used for awhile.

I'm planning to build my coop and run so that the hardware cloth is sandwiched between two 2x4s (like the Wichita cabin coop and others call for). I'm not sure whether it'll work better to do the outside pieces first, like so:
The Wichita is not your typical wall framing, I'd follow that plans procedure.
There are more than a few Wichita coop build threads here,
check some of those out maybe?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/search/36209859/?q=Wichita+coop&t=post&o=relevance&c[title_only]=1

Yes you are overthinking it. A lot of us do that. Build it strong, first and foremost. That is important.

It's my demon. I mentioned dad helping me on some previous projects -- one of the biggest ways he helped (besides, y'know, teaching me all the construction skills I have) was telling me to stop thinking and just DO THE THING.

@jthornton I swear there was a reason I planned to use the idiosyncratic coop framing, but I'm not sure I could tell you what it was now. Nice big surfaces to attach the HWC to, I suppose. I have the foundation built for it this way now, and plenty of odd sized lumber I got from a friend who gutted their house, so we'll see how it goes.

Definitely, post here, we do love to see a coop go up....
...article/coop-page when coop is done and has been used for awhile.

Will do!

It'll be slow with long gaps, I'm afraid -- The Rain came this week, so clear days to work in will be few and far between. (I live in Western Washington, The Rain deserves capital letters).

Thanks for the search suggestion. I hadn't thought of searching the forums for specific coop builds -- that's a great idea.

I'd turn this thread into my progress thread, but it doesn't look like we can change post titles after the fact? So I'll likely start a new one to document my glacial progress.

You used to be able to change the title in "edit" mode but I don't know if you can any more. I think there might be a time limit in that function too.

If you do start a progress thread could you please post a link in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom