1st egg and it is golden!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bakerjw, Jul 22, 2010.

1. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    The other night 2 of the girls dropped eggs from their roost. One was completely broken. The other was cracked too much to use.

When I went into the coop yesterday I spotted the first complete egg! It is small but it is 100% intact! I put it on my handy dandy antique scale and it didn't even register enough to be able to be graded. I figure that it weighs about 3/4 of an ounce. With gold closing at 1187.20 an ounce that makes the eggs value in gold at around $890.00.

When you figure in the cost of the materials for the tractor. The fence chargers. The food. The actual 4' welded fence, chicken wire, and hardware cloth. My time and labor in getting everything set up for the chickens... It comes out to probably around $890.00. I am using fuzzy math so I can make that eggsaggeration.

It will make one very teeny tiny omelet.

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] Congratulations on your first egg! And yes, it is sooooo egg-citing! [​IMG] enjoy!!! [​IMG]

3. Beckymca

Beckymca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    I'm new to chickens. I was gifted 6 adult hens that were sort of beat up and not laying. On the 2nd day of owning them I got 3 eggs. I was like a little kid, running into the house announcing to anyone that would listen, "I got an egg, look, look an egg" Well I did that 3 times that day, lol.... Now I'm getting 5-6 eggs a day out of those 6 hens. They have been here about 3 weeks and seem very happy and content and the eggs I'm getting are wonderful!!!

I also have 14 little one ranging in age from 2-7 weeks. I'm looking forward to new eggs soon!!! Thanks for sharing.

4. tri-5-ron

tri-5-ron Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Orange County
    I always thought it was "The Goose that laid the Golden Egg".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by