Help! I have a hen who is being aggressive to one of my favorite hens, they were raised together!

Awrenina

In the Brooder
Jan 2, 2024
Utah
Hello! I am having issues with 2 of my hens. 1 of them, Rosie my Blue Ameraucana (who is my favorite) and the other, Pyrrha, an Easter Egger. Pyrrha has always been at the bottom of the pecking order that I've seen and Rosie was above her, (not sure exactly where on the pecking order). I have a total of 10 hens.

Before this happened, Bonnie, my other Easter Egger, had lost one of her toenails completely, and I had brought her in for 4 days to take care of it and then let her out. I figured it would be fine. Rosie, who had been outside the whole time with Pyrrha, was acting strange the day after I let Bonnie back out, slowly walking around following everyone and trying to stay close to them, but then I saw Pyrrha raise up her neck feathers and go at Rosie. One of my older hens, Tiffany, a Buff Orpington, jumped at Pyrrha and started pulling at her neck feathers and pecking at her while Rosie ran to the back of our yard by the vinyl fence. Pyrrha, Tiffany, and a few other hens followed. Pyrrha attacked Rosie again by the vinyl fence and I ran out, grabbed Rosie and went back in to check Rosie out. I checked on her for a little bit, gave her an epsom salt bath, as I thought maybe she was egg bound, and started calling vets to see if they could see her. I was able to take her to the vet, and they took blood and were getting her tested for Mareks Disease. That was on December 29th. On January 4th, my mom received a call from the vet saying she was positive for Mareks, has Anemia, and some kind of infection. They weren't sure if it was bacterial or fungal. I've had Rosie inside since I first brought her in and have socialized her with other members of the flock, namely Bonnie, Weiss, and her sister Winter. It's been snowing outside and the flock doesn't want to go outside, and I feel leaving Rosie out in the Keep with Pyrrha being out there could cause issues. I do plan on having Rosie back out there. I'm just waiting for the snow to melt so that there's more room for them to go outside.

What can I do to stop Rosie and Pyrrha from fighting?

They could be bored. How big is your pen? Can you make more things to do for them? Boredom can make them aggressive. By the sounds of it all your chickens are involved. They must all be bored.

If Rosie has Mareks its best to separate her from other hens because it is contagious. Make sure you bring one of her friends with her too.
If she has Mareks it's spread through feather and skin dander, which means the entire coop/run would already be contaminated. There's not really a way to tell how long she's had Mareks for. If one tests positive in the flock, it's generally considered that the entire flock is positive since they can be carriers without showing any signs...

They could be bored. How big is your pen? Can you make more things to do for them? Boredom can make them aggressive. By the sounds of it all your chickens are involved. They must all be bored.
The Keep is a 8ft x 10ft Tuff shed, they usually have free access to the whole back yard, but because of the snow they don't want to go outside. I'll take some pictures of the inside of their Keep so you can see what it looks like.
I'm not sure what I can add to help relieve them of boredom, I've been tossing some scratch in there so they can dig around. Maybe you suggest something else I can add?

You can try taking the aggressor out of the coop for a few days and seeing if that resets the flock dynamics.
That's what I was thinking, my dad kept saying to just let Rosie get picked on by Pyrrha, but I don't know how long that would last and I felt like that would be cruel to Rosie. Would keeping Rosie away from Pyrrha for awhile work the same? Or does it have to be Pyrrha out?

That's what I was thinking, my dad kept saying to just let Rosie get picked on by Pyrrha, but I don't know how long that would last and I felt like that would be cruel to Rosie. Would keeping Rosie away from Pyrrha for awhile work the same? Or does it have to be Pyrrha out?
As far as I've seen from chicken dynamics it has to be Pyrrha out. She's the aggressor so she needs a "time out" basically.

The Keep is a 8ft x 10ft Tuff shed, they usually have free access to the whole back yard, but because of the snow they don't want to go outside. I'll take some pictures of the inside of their Keep so you can see what it looks like.
I'm not sure what I can add to help relieve them of boredom, I've been tossing some scratch in there so they can dig around. Maybe you suggest something else I can add?
You can hang things like treat balls, lettuce heads, or berries above their heads so they have to jump to eat, put some stumps/logs/branches in there for them to hop on or peck at, or even hang a branch from two ropes like a swing for them.

Back
Top Bottom