1st egg hatched... Now what?

WhisperingWinds

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 7, 2012
Morganton, NC
I have a hen who went broody a while back, April 1st, I gave her six eggs to sit on. (None of which were hers) We put her nest in a covered fenced box (4'x4') with her own food and water and kept her in the big coop with all the other chickens.
Today her first egg hatched!

1) I thought I had till tomorrow or the next day, and today I was going to give the coop a good cleaning just before babies might arrive. Now that they are hatching ... IF I clean will it bother mommy hen, or should I just leave them all alone ??

2) This week our temps have dropped. We are only in the 60's during the days, and dropping to low 40's at night...
Should I move them in doors? Or will mommy hen be enough to keep them warm?

3) The nesting box she is in, is too tall far babies to climb out of for food and water, (I know the first day or two they do not need it but...) Should I lift next out of box and just lay it on the ground for babies to be able to get in and out of safely?

IF she is being a good mommy should I leave babies with her, or should I bring them in away from her and the rest of the flock?

My flock free ranges during the day so they pretty much leave mom alone in the coop. The really are only in the coop to roost at night.

Any advice, thoughts or ideas would be very much appreciated!

I started writing this a few hours ago, and since have gone back out and there is five babies with mommy and last egg with a crack in it. So exciting!!!

here are pics :)

This has happened to me before! Just bring the all the chicks in side. It is ok if they are away from mommy. Give them a heat light , food and water. In the water thing , you need to put marbles or small rocks to keep from drowning. Tell me if you know any other tips!
jumpy.gif

Ok, another question...
last egg, has a little crack/hole in it, and I can hear little peeps coming from it, but it has been like that for hours.... How long before I help it, or should I ???

Chasing you around the site here
lau.gif
(See your other post) You really don't need a nest box. The Hen will cover them wherever she decides to set down for the night. The temperatures of 40 degrees doesn't' matter, she will keep them warm. I've always believed WE should leave them alone & let them do their job, they are built for it & ya know what? their really, really good at it.

Back
Top Bottom