1st Egg!

So the combs must develop before the eggs, right? Mine are 10-11 weeks-no combs yet. Maybe in another month.
Yes they will get big and red. My first laid at 17.5 weeks (a white leghorn) … but took another 2 weeks for the 2nd leghorn to follow her lead. Her comb was slightly less developed than the first but they are about the same now. Now TODAY, Diesel my pea combed cinnamon queen laid her first egg (20 weeks)…Hennifer Lopez is squatting (she’s a Black Sex link that isn’t black lol) so maybe she’ll be next! My other 2 leghorns are late bloomers. One had an impacted crop we just got through about 2 weeks ago so I’m guessing that might delay her somewhat, though she’s back to full health and gaining weight back nicely, the other one just has no indicators she’s even close. Then there’s the black sex link that IS black and your guess is as good as mine on her, she has huuuuge red wattles and her comb is red but small, idk if she squats she doesn’t like pets and can run like the wind…and beanie weenie the single comb cinnamon queen looks ready but she’s also the low man on the totem pole so Idk if the mean girls will let her sit at their lunch table haha poor beanie.

Had 2 egg songs this morning but one was just keeping the ceramic egg warm and didn’t do anything…the 2nd laid her first egg!!!! 17.5 week old white leghorn. Her 3rd sister is still sick, so doubtful it will be her and the 4th leghorn is way behind in maturity so don’t think it will be her either..but posting pics of the 4 other girls taking bets on who’s next…the phantom egg songer leghorn or one of the others?? Place your bets now…winner gets…umm…the satisfaction of winning lol (all are same age - 1&2 RSL, 3&4 BSL, & #5 is phantom egg singer white leghorn (pic was last week her comb has developed more since but not as much as the egg layer)
I got my 1st egg from one of my nine 23 week rhode island reds after about 2 hours of egg song with everyone joining in (wow were they loud!). i've been providing extra light early in the morning (4am) since sun is not up till about 730am and sets at around 5pm (western PA). Wasn't sure that would work and thought I might have freeloader pullets till spring but no worries now. i'm super eggcited!!

Attachments

• IMG_0427.JPG
    IMG_0427.JPG
    276.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom