GIANT egg from a new layer

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
I have 5 Pullets all about 22-23 weeks. 2 have started laying in the last couple of weeks, a white leghorn and a Rhode Island Red. My Rhode Island has been very consistent with laying daily. The eggs are on the smaller side, which is to be expected, but I am used to pretty much collecting a white and brown egg daily from my two layers. Today when I checked there was a brown egg in the RIR preferred laying box, but it was massive in comparison to what ive been getting from her. I don't think any of my other girls have begun laying. Their waddles and combs don't look ready and they aren't behaving as such. I attached a photo of a side by side of the egg from yesterday and egg from today. Im also attaching photos of the other pullets in case anyone thinks it could potentially be one of them. My buff Orpington doesn't look close to laying at all. The barred rock maybe soonish? The easter egger I can't tell at all but id expect a blue or green egg from her, not the large egg in the photo.

Is it normal to get such a large egg from such a new layer?
IMG_2737.jpeg
IMG_2736.jpeg
IMG_2735.jpeg
IMG_2734.jpeg

Egg size can vary, and in new layers all kinds of things can happen. Will be interesting to see if it has one yolk or two. It's not uncommon to get double yolkers from new layers sometimes, and those eggs will usually be larger. I've also gotten an entire small egg inside a larger egg, shell and all. As long as everyone is acting ok, I wouldn't worry. You may very well see a smaller egg again next time.

Egg size can vary, and in new layers all kinds of things can happen. Will be interesting to see if it has one yolk or two. It's not uncommon to get double yolkers from new layers sometimes, and those eggs will usually be larger. I've also gotten an entire small egg inside a larger egg, shell and all. As long as everyone is acting ok, I wouldn't worry. You may very well see a smaller egg again next time.
My husband said the same thing about a double yolk. This one may move to the front of the line for breakfast tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice! Everyone seems normal and happy today so I’m not concerned too much about their health. Just such a crazy difference in size.

Everyone seems normal and happy today so I’m not concerned too much about their health. Just such a crazy difference in size.
Sometimes those extra yolkers can be too big to pass and cause a deadly condition known as egg bound. So it's good to be aware.. if you see any sudden changes in behavior.

Color indicates it's from the same bird, in my experience along with your other clues given.

Check out the (cool) video in the following link to see how eggs are developed. There's a good list of many things that can go awry and some possible causes..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

Gorgeous eggs and lovely flock! :love

How do you tell when they are ready by wattles and combs?
When they are young and coming into lay, or coming out of molt and coming back into lay, or coming back into lay after the winter off, the combs will brighten and redden as hormones rise, indicating they are getting ready. Not an exact science, but an indication.

Mystery solved! It's always exciting to get an extra yolk! It may never happen with her again, or it may occasionally until her body gets it all figured out. It's usually a short lived phenomenon, but occasionally you hear about birds that do it regularly.

Back
Top Bottom