1st eggs!

EK1955

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 18, 2013
NW Florida Gulf Coast
My coturnix quail laid her 1st egg. Had this bird for quite some months and no eggs. She is the last one. Here covy was killed by (what I assume were rats) got in the quail pen. She was the only survivor and now have her in the house 1 week now. She was scared and slightly injured, but is recovering nicely now. Now I know she is a she.❤️

My coturnix quail laid her 1st egg. Had this bird for quite some months and no eggs. She is the last one. Here covy was killed by (what I assume were rats) got in the quail pen. She was the only survivor and now have her in the house 1 week now. She was scared and slightly injured, but is recovering nicely now. Now I know she is a she.❤️
Stress can cause them to delay or stop egg laying so the predator that killed them was probably around beforehand
I’m sorry to hear about the loss of her buddies but glad she is recovering and laying eggs!

Stress can cause them to delay or stop egg laying so the predator that killed them was probably around beforehand
I’m sorry to hear about the loss of her buddies but glad she is recovering and laying eggs!
I'm pretty sure it was rats. Funny, though they went for the quail and not my ducks or chickens. Trying to convince hubby on getting some more quail. Definitely keeping indoors now.

I'm pretty sure it was rats. Funny, though they went for the quail and not my ducks or chickens. Trying to convince hubby on getting some more quail. Definitely keeping indoors now.
Ducks and chickens are typically too big for rats to mess with but quail OTOH makes a nice snack for almost any predator :th
I actually had a squirrel kill a couple quail early spring 😭 and a sneaky snake got a pheasant and couple of quail in my brooder a few weeks ago

Ducks and chickens are typically too big for rats to mess with but quail OTOH makes a nice snack for almost any predator :th
I actually had a squirrel kill a couple quail early spring 😭 and a sneaky snake got a pheasant and couple of quail in my brooder a few weeks ago
I never knew squirrel would kill a quail! So sorry.

Back
Top Bottom