1st experience with prolapse. Here's what I've done, what else can I do, and pictures.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LottieDa, Nov 13, 2012.

1. LottieDa

LottieDa Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    Boise, ID
    Hello my chicken guru's, sorry about the graphic pics but I don't know how to describe what I'm seeing and pictures tell more than I could anyway.

Last night I found my alpha (RIR) hen with a prolapse.

I've never dealt with this before so I did what I thought was logical. I soaked her in a warm bath and gently messaged till the egg came out. She was VERY relieved and she visibly relaxed so I figured I'd done it correctly.

She was still somewhat prolapsed so I did my best to gently push things back in and then she just pushed them back out. So I figured maybe she knows better than me and decided to leave well enough alone.
    I used the blow dryer to dry her feathers and rear end, and she was busy admiring herself in the mirror the whole time! She's a little rough looking because we used to have 2 roosters and they both LOVED her way too much. She'll be her fluffy old self come Springtime... hopefully.

I put her back out in the coop with her sisters as it's the only shelter they have that is heated.
    Then this morning I brought her in to check on her and she's all a mess again. I cleaned her again and applied honey as I have read on other threads that honey helps antiseptically and seems to encourage retraction. I was doubtful but I'm willing to try anything if it will help.

Please tell me what else I can do?!
  2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009

You are doing wonderfully well... you can try some prep-h on her prolapse too - it does take some time to get the prolapse to stay inside her - can take days...... it would also be a good idea to keep her somewhere dark and warm to slow down any egg production.

She is one beautiful chicken ( and obviously knows it ..... )

Good luck and keep us informed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by