1st hatch was 5days ago and the rest is still

MamaChic21

Songster
9 Years
Dec 2, 2010
Jackson, NJ
Broody mom's egg hatched Dec 16, the hatch was way over due to my account but we still had a baby chic and very happy, however, she had 15 more eggs underneath her. I flashed a light on them and 2 were just regular eggs. 1 was cracked and had a yolk inside and no baby chic. The other 6, she stepped on them and I saw baby chickens inside, so sad. So now, she only has 6 eggs left ( God I sound like a math problem) and it's been 1 month and 1 day since she went broody. I moved her before the first hatch to the garage. Two portable heaters are around the broody home and 1 heated lamp is above the broody home, because garage is very cold. So what now, why won't the other eggs hatch ? How long should I wait until removing the rest of her eggs ?

Last edited:
Is it possible that other hens continued to lay eggs in her nest before you moved her? That was a problem with my white orpington broody. The other hens wanted to lay in her nest with her but I kept running them out and finally blocked her in until evening when nobody would bother her. Now she is isolated so she doesn't have to be disturbed. I have no idea how many eggs she has under her but the nest she is sitting in is one of the popular nests amongst my hens. The 2 broody hens I have right now are the first broodies I have ever had.

Whenever I carried a marker or some sort, the hen won't get up. Few times I caught her out of her nest box and she saw me going there, we both ran but guess who won
rant.gif

Yeap, she sat right back down
he.gif
. I flashed all the eggs when I was moving her from the coop to the garage's broody coop and 14 out 16 looked like there was something there.
But our 3 car garage stinks now, hen poop and it's all black and stinky. I'm sure it isn't anything else. Now how do I get her up without her stepping and braking the eggs in order for me to clean it?

pkw; good luck and my advice to you is let her do her own thing and not be too curious about it. Since she was over due, I thought she killed or sat on it and can't breathe, so I would ask my hubby to pick her up for me and that's when she was going back to the broody coop, she stepped on her own eggs and few of them cracked.

I think I will have to leave her alone and wait until she decides, enough is enough. But should I get an incrubator for her eggs and let her do her mommy thing with her 1 baby chic ?

just because she is sitting on eggs doesn't mean a hen stops laying eggs you may never see a hen get up but they do get up and they hate to get up when a human is watching to them even if we treat them with as one of the family they know everyday we are going to come and take their eggs from them and that is the last thing a hen that is broody will allow and they will wait until 4 am to get off their eggs just to make sure you don't come take their eggs and if there is a roo around he will wait until she gets up to do his job

Back
Top Bottom