1st one, then 2, now 4 - on three nests!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cherig22, Jun 19, 2010.

1. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    [​IMG] I have a Buff that went broody, and in a day or two a Rhodie. OK, start planning to move chickens to give them so privacy.

Then I noticed there were two Buffs broody, so I moved the hens and rooster last night. One lone Buff hen was shy, so I let her stay in the coop and got the others into another coop.

This morning, I opened the coop with the broodies, cause the last hen holdout was walking around the now broody coop. In an hour, I noticed the run in the broody coop was empty, so I closed it up.

Fast forward to 8:00 tonight, and egg collecting. All good, getting the wire hen basket full, so I go to the broody Buff coop to check on the mamas.

[​IMG] [​IMG] There are THREE Buff hens on the nests! One in one nest, she is stretched out to cover what must be a huge set of eggs, and TWO hens are in the other nest, just happy as can be!

[​IMG] I guess I will just leave them all there, and when the chicks hatch, collect the eggs that are left over and hope I have a broody to continue. But will I end up with eggs for the next 15 or so days that the odd chicken out will lay till then? Or will she stop if she is truly broody????

Cheri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by