1st & Only Egg 2 wks Ago, None Since?

MacCana

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 17, 2014
So I have a black Frizzled Polish hen that laid me a tiny, perfectly-shaped egg (shorter than the length of a lighter) 2 weeks ago, maybe longer, and has laid me nothing since. I've been periodically looking at her vent & she looks normal. No discoloration, no weird goop & no dryness. I pick her up when she squats for me and I haven't felt any lumps inside. I even heard her singing an egg song today, but when I ran down there, there was nothing. She's only in there with a Silkie rooster and I haven't seen any traces of possible egg eating. The two are perfectly healthy and recently were tested for MG/MS, AI & Pull.

So what's up? I'm getting worried.

If that was her very first egg, it's probably just a variation on normal -- and they have a lot of them for the first few weeks. I wouldn't assume yet that there is a problem.

Okay. Thanks for your reply @Judy . I just figured she would have laid another by now. But maybe she's just not ready. Should I be concerned if a month goes by and she has still only laid that one egg? I know Polish aren't the best of layers but I though they laid at least 2-3 a week.

I bought a pullet last year from a local farmer. I raised her with my younger chicks. I got worried when my younger hens had been laying for months and still had nothing from the older one. I did some research ad read something somewhere that worms can disrupt laying. I dewormed her and had an egg the next day.

Thanks very much @svfarm I didn't think of that. I haven't wormed them to date. I haven't noticed any wormy poo, so I guess I'm off to find the best broad spectrum wormer.

You'll probabl have to order wormer. For chickens, feed stores usually only carry piperazine which only treats for roundworms. So people here use cattle and goat wormers. There is a new product, though, which might be a real boon to chickens. Here is a link.

Until recently, people mostly used Valbazen or fenbendazole, for cattle and goats.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/835632/ivermectin-dosing#post_12275268

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ld-i-wait-after-using-wazine/10#post_12410869

Thanks a bunch Judy!
hugs.gif
I have another inquiry if you care to help. There's a game rooster at my mother and stepfather's house that lost his ladies after a bad fight. These chickens gravitated to the property from other places over the years. So they're feral. He's gone blind in he injured eye and has almost a completely bald head. The cuts r almost healed but the eye is nasty, and has turned cloudy from blindness and I'm guessing infection. I have been able to catch him a couple times when approaching from the blind side. Is there a cream, sav, shot or oral dose I can give him that will keep the infection down while he heals? There is no hope for ever gaining vision back in the eye. And my stepfather would assume shoot him before vetting (this is why I haven't told him).
I can't take the chicken home for biosecurity reasons. The best I can do is catch and medicate when possible. Any recommendations? I hate seeing him miserable. I'd like to alleviate it for him somewhat.

Feed stores usually carry a tube of veterinary ophthalmic antibiotic ointment, something like Terramycin or Neosporin. It's a tiny tube and used to run around $10. Just put a very small amount along the lower eyelid and he will blink it into the affected area, once or twice a day. If there is gunk in or around the eye, and you can get your hands on him, you can rinse they eye out with normal saline -- which you can make yourself, just Google it. Use a syringe without a needle from the feed store and gently squirt the saline over they eye. Hopefully, this will support healing, and at least should make him feel better for a while.

They are usually easiest to catch and handle after dark when they have gone to sleep.

Good luck!

This hen is still not laying, and has not laid a single egg. I have felt her and cannot feel any obstruction or hard mass. She's been wormed with valbazen. I even started offering oyster shell. Still nothing. Any ideas? She isn't acting ill or anything in the least. Just normal but no eggs. What's going on???

Back
Top Bottom