1st snow - Guinea’s missing now

I think they should all coop up since they have now all landed in the straw.
IMG_5026.jpeg

Congratulations on finding them all!! I'm so glad that they are all safe!

That was going to be my next question on if I should keep them locked up. For a day? For 2 days? Until the snow is melting?
I would keep them locked up until Spring, but if they're more comfortable with it, they might not fly off. The only downer though, is how they were in the neighbor's field, they'll probably want to go back.

Congratulations on finding them all!! I'm so glad that they are all safe!

I would keep them locked up until Spring, but if they're more comfortable with it, they might not fly off. The only downer though, is how they were in the neighbor's field, they'll probably want to go back.
Oh no. Til spring?!
We’re not a very snowy place and this might be our only snow all season. I’m in central AR. But I’ll do whatever to keep them around. Our neighbors aren’t even close so it’s weird that they wandered that way you honestly can’t even see their field through the brush so they stumbled upon it somehow. Probably from scouting it out up high.

Oh no. Til spring?!
We’re not a very snowy place and this might be our only snow all season. I’m in central AR. But I’ll do whatever to keep them around. Our neighbors aren’t even close so it’s weird that they wandered that way you honestly can’t even see their field through the brush so they stumbled upon it somehow. Probably from scouting it out up high.
Oh, I'm thinking of our Maine winters. If it's melting before then, it’s probably not that necessary to keep them in until spring. Guinea fowl can travel, so it's not too surprising they went that far, especially if they were in flight.

Oh no. Til spring?!
When the temp drops and it's raining or snowing or there's snow on the ground, keep them locked up. If you have an enclosed run, they can can go in it during the day.
When there's snow on the ground, goonies become disoriented by up & down, so they aren't sure if taking flight will allow them to soar or crash. So, they stay put, which makes them easy prey. If they're wet & cold, that can lead to frostbite and illness.
Most say that 4-5 months is "grown". But they aren't nearly as big as the adults, and even though they are feathered, they haven't put on the weight or grown the down that an adult has. Given that your average temps are no where as cold as some of us, your birds in general probably don't take on the down like ours do so may risk frostbite or hypothermia.
All that to say that when you do have a cold snap, your birds are less prepared for it. It really is best to keep them in the run/coop until the weather is better. - better for you, too. Scooting around in snow leads to a frosty belly! :lau

Back
Top Bottom