1st snow, water froze in coop

preciouschick

Songster
Aug 26, 2020
south central PA
I live in southern Pa. We got out first snowfall. I keep a small 1 gallon "auto" waterer inside the coop that froze. The poop on the poop boards that is a foot off the floor froze too. They really dont use the inside waterer much. I have a 5 gallon waterer with a deicer and feeder outside. Is it too cold for them inside the coop if the water froze? Now I need to worry about frozen eggs if I forget one when the temps drops. I have about 5 inches of shavings that they packed down in the coop. A few inches in the nesting boxes. The nesting boxes stick "outside" the coop. I was a little anal and put plastic around the run. Glad I did. Very little snow got it. It got a little damp but all is good. The waterer in the picture is the one inside.

Attachments

• 20200827_175013.jpg
    20200827_175013.jpg
    665.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20201217_123132.jpg
    20201217_123132.jpg
    591.3 KB · Views: 12
Is it too cold for them inside the coop if the water froze? Now I need to worry about frozen eggs if I forget one when the temps drops.
I keep a Galvanized waterer on a heated base inside my well ventilated coops (kept water thawed down to-7 F and rubber bowls outside under a mini halogen spotlight rated for outdoor use, uses 39 watts.
20201212_133040_resized.jpg
20201210_051349_resized.jpg

It has kept water thawed down to 20 F.
It has gotten down to minus 15 Fahrenheit a couple times the past 4 winters. Winter hardy chickens, Golden Comets and Barred Rocks.
I have ISA Browns and Barred Rocks this winter season.
I've had frozen eggs in the past. As long as the membrane isn't broken I'll eat them first.
20190121_094847.jpg

Check eggs immediately, cracks will disappear quickly when brought inside.
I check for eggs several times daily during cold weather. GC

I keep a Galvanized waterer on a heated base inside my well ventilated coops (kept water thawed down to-7 F and rubber bowls outside under a mini halogen spotlight rated for outdoor use, uses 39 watts.View attachment 2453212View attachment 2453217
It has kept water thawed down to 20 F.
It has gotten down to minus 15 Fahrenheit a couple times the past 4 winters. Winter hardy chickens, Golden Comets and Barred Rocks.
I have ISA Browns and Barred Rocks this winter season.
I've had frozen eggs in the past. As long as the membrane isn't broken I'll eat them first.View attachment 2453206
Check eggs immediately, cracks will disappear quickly when brought inside.
I check for eggs several times daily during cold weather. GC
I have a heater/ de-icer on the water outside. I was just wondering if the temp inside the coop at night, freezing water, is bad for my chickens. Do they need heat? I do check twice and day for eggs

... I was just wondering if the temp inside the coop at night, freezing water, is bad for my chickens. Do they need heat?...

I live in the great white north, temperatures are currently ~-17C (1.4F), frequently we get as low as -30C (-22F). I do not provide heat in the coop but do ensure that there is very good ventilation to remove moisture and stale air.

I have chosen chickens (Chanteclers) that are cold tolerant (small waddles & combs) and still have a few that have large waddles/comb. The latter may suffer from frost bite but otherwise survive these temperatures without problems.

Keeping open water inside the coop will contribute to higher humidity and should be avoided.

I provide 22% protein feed which provides the nourishment needed in the colder temperatures.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I have a heater/ de-icer on the water outside. I was just wondering if the temp inside the coop at night, freezing water, is bad for my chickens. Do they need heat? I do check twice and day for eggs
No, they don't need heat.

And frozen eggs that have cracked.. I just scrub them clean while they are still frozen, and cook well then eat.

On days that are colder for here, NW PA, the chickens won't go out in the snow, so I keep a pot style waterer in the coop. That way I can just break the surface ice. That is the only change I make. My guess is your temps average even warmer than here. No need for heat.

I was just wondering if the temp inside the coop at night, freezing water, is bad for my chickens. Do they need heat?
Winter hardy chickens are good for temps down to minus 20 Fahrenheit with adequate ventilation. Dry chickens are happy chickens.
I've had chickens through 4 winters with temps down to minus 15F without added heat.
20200511_093718.jpg

This hen has been through 4 winters with temps as low as minus 15F a couple of times. GC

On days that are colder for here, NW PA, the chickens won't go out in the snow, so I keep a pot style waterer in the coop. That way I can just break the surface ice. That is the only change I make. My guess is your temps average even warmer than here. No need for heat.
what breed chickens do you have. I have ISA browns. they didnt get much snow in the runs so they are coming out. Some spotting of snow which they seem to like.I asked what breed because My son has 4 ISA browns and 8 wyandottes. none of them came out in his snow filled run. Is it a breed thing, or just the chickens dislike???

Most chickens do not like snow, but I think some breeds avoid it more than others. I have a silver laced Wyandotte, a barred rock, a barred red (color unknown breed mix), and a silky rooster. As well as 30 +hens of. Various breeds. The Wyandottes and older hens don't come out in the snow at all. But My leghorn cross pullet does what ever it takes to get to her "nest" in the barn. 1,000 feet from the coop.

Back
Top Bottom