1st time baby chicks for me

Jiggi Chicks

Hatching
Feb 14, 2017
I have a hen and her eggs have started to hatch. We saw 1 about 2 days ago, the 2nd came last night but now I can't find the 1st one, it was there last night. Does anyone know what may have happened? Also, hen is sitting on eggs that are not all 21 days old, some are from last week as she has been sitting in the favourite box which is up high. Can I move her yet? I was going to move her onto the ground as I have found a chick on the ground with no way of getting to her. There are rats at night which I haven't been able to eradicate completely. Please help, thank you

Rats will absolutely go after chicks. You should really do everything you can to get them out of your coop. They are bad for chickens and also your family. Ive got some experience as I had the same problem. Start with making the coop a fortress. Close all holes or ways for the rats to get in. They can squeeze through small openings. I took an old dog gate and caged in traps to get them at night. Also, take the chicken feed and water out of the coop at night. Big pain in the butt but it is effective. I tried the electric traps but they didn't work for me. Some people swear by them. I don't recommend poison because your chickens may peck and eat dead rat if they can get them. There are tons of articles and posts about them.

As for the chicks, you may want to take them out of the coop and brood them indoors if you dont want them to become food.

Im sorry, i don't have much advice on moving the hen as I don't have experience, but it was my understanding that they set the eggs all together and brood them all together. I thought they all hatch at the same time. But I may be wrong. I use an incubator.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom