1st Time Broody hen and upcpmong hatch question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by VaM715, Feb 27, 2008.

1. VaM715

VaM715 Songster

Feb 26, 2008
    Fincastle, VA
    This is my first "real" hatch. Had a hen hatch out one chick back in July, but now that it's cold here in Va, what do I do with the hen and chicks after they hatch? She is in a 2 x 4 x 2 converted rabbit hutch. She has her own pen. After(fingers crossed here) the chicks hatch, do I need to put a heat lamp in the hutch for additional heat, or will she keep them warm for me? I can move everybody to a completetly enclosed brood box I'm building if needed. I know hens have been hatching chicks in the elements for years, but have a concern about the cold. Any opinions?

2. raindrop

raindrop Songster

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    She can keep them warm when they are underneath her (as long as she isn't on a drafty wire floor), but you might want a heat lamp over near the food/water so that when they can be out long enough to eat without getting chilled. I never really had hens go broody when it was that cold out.

3. VaM715

VaM715 Songster

Feb 26, 2008
    Fincastle, VA
    She's on a solid wood floor lined with Hardwood mulch for insulation. There's room across from her nest on the other side 3 feet away inside the hutch to hang a light and place chick food and water so they wouldn't have to go outside to eat and drink unless they wanted too. I would also supply some additonal heat in there for her too. Some worry about risk of fire, but it's doubtful it would occur.

4. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Songster

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: