1st Time Broody hen and upcpmong hatch question

VaM715

Songster
11 Years
Feb 26, 2008
Fincastle, VA
This is my first "real" hatch. Had a hen hatch out one chick back in July, but now that it's cold here in Va, what do I do with the hen and chicks after they hatch? She is in a 2 x 4 x 2 converted rabbit hutch. She has her own pen. After(fingers crossed here) the chicks hatch, do I need to put a heat lamp in the hutch for additional heat, or will she keep them warm for me? I can move everybody to a completetly enclosed brood box I'm building if needed. I know hens have been hatching chicks in the elements for years, but have a concern about the cold. Any opinions?

She can keep them warm when they are underneath her (as long as she isn't on a drafty wire floor), but you might want a heat lamp over near the food/water so that when they can be out long enough to eat without getting chilled. I never really had hens go broody when it was that cold out.

She's on a solid wood floor lined with Hardwood mulch for insulation. There's room across from her nest on the other side 3 feet away inside the hutch to hang a light and place chick food and water so they wouldn't have to go outside to eat and drink unless they wanted too. I would also supply some additonal heat in there for her too. Some worry about risk of fire, but it's doubtful it would occur.

Back
Top Bottom