1st time broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cloverking, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Cloverking

Cloverking In the Brooder

Apr 17, 2019
    Cape town, South Africa
    Hi everyone,

So I think my girl is broody for the first time. I've been reading through all the threads, and all the signs are there. She is now almost 9 months old and been laying almost everyday for a month or so, and suddenly decided her nest box was the best place to be. She has a custom built coop with a little nest box are and her indoor roosting and sleeping area is all the same place. She had a roost, but has always opted to sleep in her nest area so I have left her to do that. She has a 3m run connected to it and it had a bare bottom with a specially planted clover friendly garden. After reading I have closed her off from her indoor area totally for the day, but its winter here and it's way too cold and damp to leave her out for 3 days. How can I stop the broodiness without locking her out(its upsetting that it seems to be the way and I dont have a wire cage). Is there anything else i can do to snap her out of it? I have got a small wooden crate inside, only big enough for her to sleep in at night. Could she sleep there and then stay in the outside run for the day? Would that help her? Thanks

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Maybe.

Do you still only have the one bird?
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/looking-for-advice.1303583/

Can you post pics of your coop and run?
    ...and tell us....
    Where in this world are you located?
    Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
    Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
    It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
    upload_2019-6-13_9-2-2.png

3. Cloverking

Apr 17, 2019
    Cape town, South Africa
    Hi, I am in cape town, south africa, it's pretty close to mid winter now. Yes, I still only have clover, but I am looking for someone that has healthy chickens to get her a friend. I am a little fussy when it comes to adding any bits in with my baby. Shes more of a house pet than a backyard chicken. I have found a farm that I am visiting today and I'm hoping to maybe get some fertile eggs that I could give her to hatch, and once they are old enough, I could keep a hen for her, and give the others back to the farm?

Attached Files:

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Not sure how accurate this is, but 50°F(10°C) is not that cold.
    upload_2019-6-17_6-59-27.png

Sounds like a pretty good plan, IF the farm will take back any birds you don't want. Your coop and run is barely big enough for one bird, tho, might think about going larger there.

5. Cloverking

Apr 17, 2019
    Cape town, South Africa
    Yes, they have agreed to take them back, they gave me 6 and it took her all of 5 min to pull them in and sit on them. She has got free reign of the garden and house for 90% of the day, she is very seldom locked away in it. Only when I'm out and i work from home, so it's not often at all

ev-chicka and aart like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: