1st time butcher, couple questions

Dunkopf

Songster
9 Years
Sep 24, 2010
Kiowa, Colorado
Just butchered my 1st chicken today. Been raising them for 8 years and this is the 1st. It was a meatie. After I soaked it and plucked it, I cut the head off then separated the wind pipe and cut, then cut the neck off. I then cut from the area where the ribs meet the breastbone around to the other side like it shows in that picture instruction at the top of the meat page. A bunch of fluid came out, had a light yellow color to it. Is that water from the dunking or did I hit the bladder or is it just some fluid? My other question is that I couldn't get the feathers out at the end of the drumstick where the foot attaches. Is that because it didn't soak long enough, too hot, too cold, typical.

My meaties are slowly getting heart problems. They start out being lethargic, then just die. I posted another thread about that. So I'm paying attention to who is lethargic and separating them in the morning. Then I'll butcher them when I get home after work. Lost 5 altogether and didn't butcher them. The processor can't do them till Dec 4th. I might just do them all myself. Save 2.50 per bird and a long drive.

I don't use that method so I can't answer most of your questions. I suspect the problem with the feathers at the legs is that you did not dunk them deep enough. I hold mine by the legs when I scald and sometimes don't scald those feathers quite enough.

The fluid was probably ascites - fluid build up in the body cavity because the systems are insufficient to get rid of it.

There was actually just a thread about this
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=417609

my vote is wash it good but don't eat any organ meat
idunno.gif

Thanks. You know the skin is a little darker than the last group of meaties. We raised 25 summer before last. They were all in the 5 to 7 lb range and we lost 3 that dropped dead near the end. It was suggested we got a bad batch. Thanks for the info on the fluid. I threw the organs out after the cats were done. had another lethargic one this am. I was planning to butcher tonight but she was dead when I came home.

I imagine the slightly darker skin is the breeding involved in these chickens. Every year the genetics are a little different. I've read a thread or two about how much worse or better this batch was than the last one. Just a guess, of course.

Back
Top Bottom