1st time duck momma back with more questions…

Cassiblu

Chirping
May 24, 2021
Y’all have been amazingly helpful and I’m learning so much! But I’m back with a couple more questions. (I’ll surely be back regularly as we enter new stages) ☺️ Our muscovy ducklings, Feather and Pip are 4 weeks old now. They have lived on non-medicated crumbles that I added niacin supplement to since day 1. We offered treats for the first time last week, mashed blueberries, frozen peas ( mostly thawed but not cooked to start. They didn’t seem to love it lol. We learned here about other fruits to try and also just read that they love grass, dandelion weeds and certain leafy greens, and they can have as much as they want. I didn’t find at what age to add these to their diet. We have never offered any before, but I read many different opinions about how to administer as well as what age to start adding “grit”, but commonly see recommendations to add it around 4 weeks old, when they start weaning off the starter feed. They have about 1 more day of the starter crumbles so we will buy the next growth step feed tomorrow. My questions are, what is “grit”, and how do I add it to their meals? (Sprinkled over the food or in the drinking water)? And how much should I give per feeding? I know I could ask at the store, and I’ll ask a store associate to guide me which feed and grit is best at this stage, but it’s much easier for me to understand when I can return to your advice and answers here as needed. 😏 I plan on offering finely chopped kale and romaine lettuce to start. I want them to be able to digest it safely so I know they need grit served with it. I just don’t know which opinion is correct, over the food or water? Or does it make any difference? Thanks y’all. 💟

Grit is sand, tiny pebbles, etc. that birds need to help grind up hard food like whole corn. Grit wouldn't be needed for soft or green feed. My ducks free range and eat whatever they want. At four weeks your two are old enough for you not to be concerned overly on their diet. Once you start feed hard feeds, provide grit in a separate container and they will use what they need. If they are free range you needn't provide grit as there's plenty in nature. Once my ducklings are over two weeks of age they free range and have their mash, scratch feed, game bird available and eat what they want.

Grit as said above is fine granular pebbles and can be composed of different minerals depending on the brand or if they're receiving it from the ground. Grit is required anytime they are eating anything other then specified poultry feed (pellet or crumble only this excludes feed that is composed of actual grains that are not ground) and is needed for a duck to be able to grind down the ingested food into a digestible form. If you are allowing them to go outside and forage you do not need to offer grit as they will naturally eat small pebbles and any granular they find. However, if they are in a brooder with no access to dirt you offer it on the side in a small separate dish.

Grit is sand, tiny pebbles, etc. that birds need to help grind up hard food like whole corn. Grit wouldn't be needed for soft or green feed. My ducks free range and eat whatever they want. At four weeks your two are old enough for you not to be concerned overly on their diet. Once you start feed hard feeds, provide grit in a separate container and they will use what they need. If they are free range you needn't provide grit as there's plenty in nature. Once my ducklings are over two weeks of age they free range and have their mash, scratch feed, game bird available and eat what they want.
Thank you for explaining, I understand much better now 🙂

For treats, you may find they don't jump up and down about it the first time. The second time they may be far more interested in it. That has been my experience with peas. But not all ducks like the same thing. However it is safe to say all ducks love mealworms!

Back
Top Bottom