1st time in the coop

:welcome :frow I have brooded in a coop. I do have a coop just for the chicks, my chick/grow-out coop. I do use heat lamps if needed. Some people will say never to use a heat lamp in a coop due to possibility of it catching something on fire if too close. I am responsible and have not located any heat lamps near anything that could catch on fire. When the chicks need heat they will get under them and when they are warm enough will migrate away. It has worked fine for me but there are other ways too. There is a lot of good info here on BYC. Good luck and have fun...

Hello and welcome to BYC! Good that you are researching before jumping into it. I used a heat lamp on my first chicks and it took them longer to feather out. I switched to a brooder plate the following year and the chicks feathered out quicker. One issue with heat lamp is the chicks are exposed to light 24 hours a day. The brooder plate lets the chicks become accustomed to the normal sunrise / sunset cycle at an earlier age. Just my thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom