1st time ordering chicks by mail - Tips - Please

OnAdobeRoad

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
Thanks in advance for any tips!
I live in California and have ordered chicks from My Pet Chicken. I get chicks every year, but I have always gotten them from the local feed store. This is the first time I have ordered them from an online company and had them shipped to me. I am very nervous!
The chicks are set to ship to me on 4/16, I am getting everything set up now. I would greatly appreciate any and all advice!
Thank You!

keep them in a warm area. Refill their water and food everyday. Keep the light at 95 degrees F and lower the temperature down 5 degrees everyday.

Go to mypetchicken.com. They have a free e-book on how to take care of chicks and it is excellent. All you questions can be answered there easily. The only thing that Ive found is the temps seem a little hot. The first day or so, ok 95 is a good starting point. After that you can lose the thermometer and watch the chicks. If they are piled on top of each other directly under the light they ar too cold. If they are in a far corner of the brooder away from the light they are to hot. If they are spread out they are just right. Adjust your light accordingly. My chicks seemed to like it about 10 degrees cooler than the rule after the first week. They are tiny little helpless things that need protection, but they are also pretty resiliant and tougher than we give them credit. Your going to love having them in your life. The are fun.

We ordered from MPC, and although they got lost in the mail for a day (detour to New Orleans, thanks to USPS) they arrived healthy and ready to play! No pasty butts, no sicklies (so far) and no injuries. They were peeping like mad when I got them from the post office this morning, but once in their brooder with their light (which they like at 86*, by the way), food, and water, they are happy little girls!

Big tip- call your post office the week before they are to arrive and be sure you understand their protocol for chicks. I ordered 6, so they were sent express mail to my p.office. HERE (and everywhere is different) if they arrive on the noon truck, the express truck brings them to your home. But if they arrive on the early AM or late PM trucks, they go out w the regular mail carrier the next day and can be out all day long before they make it to you. If that makes sense? This was for express mail only though- they said they don't call you on express mail they bring the box out. Not sure f that's true for every post office, and I think priority mail shipments may be handled differently. And, I only found this out after speaking with the delivery manager. The lady who answered the phone gave me different, and wrong, information. So long story short- be sure you know and understand how your post office will handle your babies. =)

I just ordered my first chicks ever from MPC. They are supposed to come May 21st. I'm a bit worried myself, so tell me how yours turn out when you get them! They are supposed to be a good hatchery, so I doubt there would be many problems. Good luck!

I ordered from MPC and received the chicks a week ago. I had previously only bought chicks from the feed store and this was my first experience with mail order. It is a really good idea to call your post office and find out what their delivery procedures are. I did this way in advance and was told the chicks could come anytime within a three day period on an express truck. I went down the day before their earliest possible arrival time and left my name, address and two different phone numbers and the instructions to call me at any time so I could come down immediately. Oh, and I also took a dozen doughnuts just to "sweeten" the deal somewhat!

The post office called within a half hour of the truck coming in (by that time I had found out the express truck arrival times) and I went right down. I only ordered four chicks but they were all healthy and peeping loudly. They had a very warm little pouch in the bottom of the box that apparently kept them toasty for the day or two it took to arrive. And, now, a week later, they are doing great and growing like crazy.

I am probably telling you something you already know but it is a good idea to have your brooder ready to go way in advance of the chicks arriving. This would include the heat source, crumbles, water and bedding.

FYI, if anyone is thinking of switching to the Brinsea Ecoglow heat system (versus a heat lamp), it works like a charm! My chicks nestled right underneath it immediately. They came out to run around and eat and drink, then would go back under when I assume they were cold. This unit only uses 18 watts of energy and is completely fire safe. Plus, because it uses radiant heat and no light, your birds get used to going to sleep in the dark and waking up in the light which seems a lot more natural. I read about this here on BYC and decided to give it a try and it has been well worth the money.

We get our babies from my pet chicken that week also!! So excited and so nervous! These will be our first. We ordered 14 of all different kinds. Is anyone starting their babies in the house?

We get our babies from my pet chicken that week also!! So excited and so nervous! These will be our first. We ordered 14 of all different kinds. Is anyone starting their babies in the house?
Me. Gotta get a coop still. I won't need a brooder until May though. I got a buff Orpington, a salmon faverolles, and five assorted non feather legged bantams. First chicks! So excited!

Back
Top Bottom