1st time processing totally by myself (carcass photo)

thumbsup.gif
Great job! You help to give me confidence when I do my first ever birds in only 4 more weeks :)

I didn't like the actual killing, but it was easy, and once they were dead I didn't feel that bad, the Maran was so mean I was glad he was going to be gone. Plucking was no problem, the thing I had the biggest problem with was cutting the neck off the body, I couldn't find an easy place to cut it, and ended up kind of twisting it untill it broke and then cut it off.
If the weather is warm enough on Wed. I'm going to try to do 4 more. I like to pluck them outside, to keep the mess down, then I don't mind taking the guts out in the kitchen.
Both roos were right about 6m, so I don't think size was to bad. I have 2 Barred Rocks, an Orp, and a little Blue Andalusian to do next. I know he will be small, but he is very filled out.

Nice job!
I plan to practice my processing skills on a bunch of barnyard mixes I hatched last year.
I've never done this, but I've watched tons of videos.
I appreciate you sharing your experience.

GREAT job! They look wonderful. Even shaking, you got the skill. :)

It does get easier on the nerves. It's still not fun, but you will stop shaking.

Well, I did 2 more today, weather was nice for here (45). It was much eaiser, no shaking this time. I just told them I was sorry they ended up being roos, thanked them for their meat and did the deed. I knocked 1/2 hour off the total processing time, but it still took me an hour and a half, that includes catching and taking each bird one at a time to where I was dispatiching them to having them in bags to rest in the fridge. I know that time isn't great but I don't feel to bad about it.
If weather is good on Wed, I'm going to try to do 4 more.

If it helps any, I grab the roos at dark after they roost and put them in a pet carrier or big cardboard box in the basement until morning, when I'm ready. Saves me from having to play tag with them. Good job! You SHOULD be so proud!

I'm going to try that Wed. If the weather turns out to be too cold, I can always let them back out. I really hadn't planned on doing any today, but had the time and nothing else to do. I didn't want to start on my taxes Yuk!

Back
Top Bottom