1st timer hatching eggs...need help!

1chickimama

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 20, 2013
my hen has nine eggs. 1 has hatched and 1 started to hatch...next time I checked on her the cracked egg was missing. Not even the shell was there. Snake? rat? That was 4 days ago. All the other eggs have not hatched yet and now mama is up and walking around with her baby in tow. Will she go back and sit on the eggs? Are the eggs going to hatch if she doesn't sit ALL the time? So many questions....HELP!

If mama has given up on the eggs, then that probably means they're not going to hatch, especially since it has been four days since her one little peep hatched. That's really too bad that something made off with the other hatching egg! What a mystery!

She's out having a good time giving herself a dust bath right now...I only gave her 3 eggs to sit on and somehow over the course of 1 week she had the other eggs. I put a big X on them and seperated her from my egg layers so they wouldn't give her any more. They won't all hatch at the same time...Is there a chance she'll go back to the eggs? Do I throw them away? It's a shame after all her work she only has 1 baby!

if she has left them, there is no chance she will go back, she is done hatching and is now in the raising zone...for future just make sure she can't get any more eggs after you have given her a set amount....even if you have to put her into a rabbit hutch or something similar the day you give her the eggs you want her to hatch, anything that stops her from wandering too far to steal eggs and to stop other hens laying in there. just toss the unhatched eggs..enjoy your new little chicks

Last edited:
After playing in the yard for the day, my hen went back to the eggs. Is there a chance that they will hatch or are we out of luck?

Back
Top Bottom