1st timer-homemade bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TNBluebird, Oct 18, 2009.

1. TNBluebird

TNBluebird Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2009
    Smyrna, TN
    This is my first time hatching eggs! I'm a teacher and we are going to do this in my 2nd grade classroom. I have poured over all the information on this website for days now. I used all the "homemade bator" pages to help me, primarily Miss Prissy's. Thanks to you all! I do have a few chickens and we raised them and hatched eggs growing up so I' know a tiny bit.

At this point I'm trying to get the temp regulated. I have a pc fan, 40w bulb and water heater thermostat. I also have 3 thermometers in the bator. I'm trying to get it adjusted to stay at 99. I just checked it and all three thermometers were at 101. So I just lowered the thermostat a bit.

I have my eggs. I ordered them and they all arrived safe and sound. They are waiting in a closet that is at 60 degrees. Hopefully I can get the temp to stabilize. I need to put them in on Tue. so that they will hatch while the kids are at school.

So again, a HUGE thank you to all the info and humor that I've found here. This is by far the BEST website I've found. So wish me luck! I don't want to let my kiddos down.

2. Chikpee

Chikpee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2009
    I wish you luck - the children will love it.

Fingers crossed for a great hatch [​IMG]

3. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    40 watts sounds like a bit much. You might want to use a smaller wattage bulb.

Another option, just to make sure you have a good hatch, is to post a "would like to borrow an incubator" ad on Craigslist. If you were near me, I'd let you borrow mine! And then I'd take any extra chicks off your hands. [​IMG]

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.ChickenTrackin.com

4. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    40 is fine. You have a thermosat so your good~ Just watch your humidity

5. TNBluebird

Oct 18, 2009
    Smyrna, TN
    Yes, the 40 seems to be working ok. I had 34 watts and it didn't seem to work as well. I'm working on the humidity. I had 2 different hydrometers and they were quite different. I read some where that the thermometer/hydrometer that measures outside and inside temps with the little cord, has the hydrometer inside the unit so it measures the humidity outside the bator. So I'm follow instructions found here on BYC to calibrate it using water, salt and ziplock.

One question I have: When I put the eggs in the bator, can I cut out holes in the bottom of the egg cartons and just put the 2X4 under the bator to eliminate opening it to turn them? Or should I lay them all out and hand turn them. I don't have a turner? Any pros or cons to these 2 methods?

6. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    Avoid hand turning if you can, especially if the kids are going to help. It's really easy to drop an egg while you're turning it. I've dropped a few myself, which is heartbreaking when they get close to hatch time, so now I just roll them.

I haven't tried tilting the 'bator.

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.ChickenTrackin.com

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Both work fine if you have a fan in the incubator. The 2x4 thing dont work so well in a still air bator.

8. TNBluebird

Oct 18, 2009
    Smyrna, TN
    Rolling rather than picking up is a good idea! I was liking the 2X4 idea because I have a small on already and I won't have to pick up the eggs or open the bator. I do have a fan in it. I was just wondering if I lay them all out and then tilt the whole thing the would roll around. That is why I was thinking keeping them in the egg cartons with holes cut out in the bottom so they wouldn't roll when it was tilted. Any thoughts about the egg carton? Is that ok? I know they need air flowing around them.

9. Davis5454

Davis5454 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2009
    TnBluebird....I hope you didn't have to go through much to order the eggs.

Next time you want to do this....no need to order if it was an ordeal. I would be glad to give you some eggs with just a few days notice.

I'm in Ky near Land Between the Lakes but have family in Mt Juliet and get back there fairly often.

I have White Silkies, Buff Orphs, and Austrolorps. The silkies are sooooo cute for kids. They are a little slower at laying though.

You can send a message to me here and i'll be glad to give you info on how to reach me.

BD

10. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Cartons fine. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by