1st Timer taking the plunge

CluckerMural

Hatching
Apr 10, 2017
Hi. My name is Mike and my wife is Dionne and after a bunch of research my family and I have gone and gotten our first batch of chicks. We live in Aurora, CO. We brought home 2 Ameraucanas, 1 Sussex, 1 New Hampshire Red, 1 White Orpington, and 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte. I've already posted up and our chicks are 7-14 days old according to the responses I got. We purchased a coop from someone we found on CO Chickens Facebook group. I like the coop but I want to add a new bottom as the builder used OSB and I'm worried that may not hold up to the moisture from their waste. Tell me what you guys think.
2191531d7b1d89d695a8a66a5d402e45.jpg
1f99647e208d39b7e6dc78f0b70dec68.jpg
254cad8814fab99ea15edaef8163d1aa.jpg
4ada9e79d11e9e6d57b3a26087835bd2.jpg

I will be building the run adjacent to the coop next weekend. I know cedar isn't recommended for bedding and coop construction, but could I use it for the run?

G’Day from down under Mike
frow.gif
Welcome!

Sorry that I am not able to answer your question regarding the coop floor but someone else may come along to welcome you and have an answer. If not, I recommend posting on this thread for opinions: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/596294/post-your-chicken-coop-pictures-here/16610

Your little ones are so cute!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share more pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

OSB is fine. Cover it with a scrap of linoleum running it up the walls a few inches. You can also paint it with Blackjack. Will make cleaning easier too.
I wouldn't waste $$ with cedar for the run. I use green round drivers on the horse fences and they snap in 2 long before they rot. My girls are hard on the fence. Some are 20+ years old. Just treat the post before you sink it in the ground. All my chicken and goose runs are chain link with metal frames.

Hop over to the CO thread.

Back
Top Bottom