1wk Old Meaties with 7wk Old RIRs?

ChicknLittleLexi

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
Sonora, CA
So we got 2 Cornish x's (we think) last Sunday (Easter) and have been keeping them in the brooder that my four 7 week old RIRs moved out of. I know you're not supposed to do that without cleaning the brooder, but my flock is fed medicated feed and they are healthy, so I wasn't worried about the meaties getting sick. NOW, I'm ready to start integrating the two "flocks". I put them both outside today to free range, and there were a few stand-offs between the big girls and the little tykes, but no issues whatsoever after that and they were dustbathing, eating and sunbathing together in no time. Really, the big girls pretty much ignored the babies.

So, I decided to put the meaties into the big girl coop with the RIRs for the DAYTIME only, I will be removing them at night as they're still so small. Do you all think this is a good idea? I know meaties are supposed to be fed a different food, but currently they are all eating medicated feed and are doing well.

Anything I should be worried about? Eventually as the meaties get bigger I'm assuming I'll have to move the meaties into their own cage, but since we're processing them in about 6 weeks, I don't see why I would HAVE to, but I'm not a chicken expert so I thought maybe ya'll could think of something I haven't
smile.png

I wanted to put this in the Baby Chicks section because I'm not sure if this necessarily belongs in the Meat Birds section. Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom