Day old chicks during winter

Katey802

In the Brooder
Oct 2, 2023
So I have a silkie that’s been broody about a month now. I had the bright idea to order day old chicks to swap out with her eggs in hopes that she’ll adopt them. I didn’t take into account that I got larger breeds, 7 of them and my hen is tiny. Our coop is wrapped with plastic but it’s cold in Vermont, one of the lows next week is 9 degrees. Should I put a brooder plate in the brooder pen with mama in the coop? Or scratch the whole thing and take them into my very tiny house (8 months pregnant with a toddler, 3 xl dogs and constant chaos, it’s the last thing I want to do but obviously don’t want to have any of them die). Has anyone done this in the winter before?
They’re supposed to be delivered in about a week.

9 degress? for day old chicks? I would definitely consider bringing them inside or having a heating source out there. I have no experience with silkies but I would be surprised if the chicks can make it under a silkie in that weather. But nature does have a way of surprising all of us....though I would try to more than rely on "hope" here

Back
Top Bottom