1yr old chicken limping suddenly today, how should I help her?

Thanks for all of your help, these photos are not easy to take by myself so hopefully they're at least any amount of useful for you
Thank you for the photos and videos.

I have looked through each photo and the video, and nothing is jumping out at me. I'm going to tag a couple of other folks that might be able to help. I don't think you're dealing with bumblefoot, but did you check to see if there was anything obvious on her foot or leg that she might have stepped on, something sharp?

She might have simply pulled a muscle or bumped into something, maybe even bruised the leg jumping up or down from roost bars - it DOES happen. Shezadandy gave some good advice above about isolating her in a small area like a dog crate for a few days where she can be monitored and where she is can't jump up or down so that she can rest without strain.

The leg scales don't look too concerning to me, but the angle of the photo is not great - I know it's VERY hard to hold a bird AND take photos! Let's see if these folks can't shed some light on why your bird might be walking with a limp:
@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @azygous @dawg53

@Swbertrand1 thanks so much for all your help.

She's a very big bird so it's possible maybe she hurt herself. I don't even think she's overweight, just huge.

Hopefully someone else can shed some light on it.

I don't have the ability to isolate her today but I could probably get stuff together to be able to do that for tomorrow.

@Swbertrand1 thanks so much for all your help.

She's a very big bird so it's possible maybe she hurt herself. I don't even think she's overweight, just huge.

Hopefully someone else can shed some light on it.

I don't have the ability to isolate her today but I could probably get stuff together to be able to do that for tomorrow.
You're welcome - don't know that I was much help, but I don't think bumblefoot is your issue. A large dog crate seems to be the way most folks go for an isolation area. If you go that route, make sure you put something down on the floor that is easy on her feet like cardboard and pine shavings, possibly even a towel of you're willing to clean it each day.

@Swbertrand1 Since I gave her the epsom salt bath she is running more, although still hobbling a little she seems in better spirits.

Hopefully a few days of daily epsom salt soaks will help her feel better.

Perhaps she strained her muscle or something.

I got some antimicrobial poultry medical spray and will also keep monitoring her foot to see if anything develops.

The only thing I can think is maybe she fell or jumped off the roost across the run which they have taken to sitting on. (As much as I try to explain to them it's not really "for chickens", it's just a cross beam lol...)

I was able to get a dog play pen area and a UV protective cover from Amazon delivered by tomorrow.

Then I'll be able to start isolating her from the rest of the flock.

Any thoughts regarding if there's a method to tape her leg that would better support the healing?

I think what dawg53 is saying, and I agree with, is that you need to get her in a spot where she can relax, stay off the leg for a few days, eat, drink and slowly improve without using the leg, like we would do if we had hurt ourselves.

Others may bring suggestions for wrapping the leg, or using something to support it, but I don't have anything to offer in that area as I have no experience with it...

Back
Top Bottom