2 1/2 week old chick with a problem

livininco

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2018
Black Forest, Colorado
Hi, We've had six chicks for a week and a half. Most look very healthy, except for this one. She looks like she got pecked, but in watching her she almost looks like she is pulling her own feathers out. We have all six in a horse water trough, with a red light, moving it up a bit every week. It's too cold to put them outside yet.

Any ideas what is causing this problem? I'm new to chickens and could use the advice. Thank you!!
Chick back 2.jpeg
Chick back 1.jpeg

They can look funny as they all grow in feathers at diiferent rates. Is she eating and drinking, and walking around? Is there any pasty butt?

They can look funny as they all grow in feathers at diiferent rates. Is she eating and drinking, and walking around? Is there any pasty butt?
She seems to feel fine, no pasty butt and she's eating and drinking. Someone on facebook just told me this looks normal, so I feel silly, but she's the only one who looks like this and it happened almost overnight.

It can be confusing when you see irregular feather growth. When I hatched some pure old line RIR, they had little bare shoulders, but they all eventually grew in their beautiful dark mahogany feathers. The males grew in slower than the gals.

It can be confusing when you see irregular feather growth. When I hatched some pure old line RIR, they had little bare shoulders, but they all eventually grew in their beautiful dark mahogany feathers. The males grew in slower than the gals.
Okay, I'm officially not going to worry about her tonight then. Thank you for the reassurance!

Back
Top Bottom